Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been busy working on my garage reno. Was looking at battery powered mowers. I don't have a large lot, so decided to sell my Ariens 21 self propelled gasser and buy a DeWalt 20v push mower. I don't need self propelled.

Ariens was bought new back in 2003 and never let me down.

I like how much more quiet the DeWalt is and it can be stored standing up.

Bonus is the batteries work on my power tools as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The batteries that came with the mower are 10ah. After I cut the grass the batteries still showed three bars. I should probably leave them and see how many times I can cut the grass before they are fully drained. The box says 75 min of run time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure there are two schools of thought. One is to fully drain and the other is to recharge when you want. I have done both, but haven't had any issues with the batteries. Only issue I had was when I burned out a hammer drill and was trying to troubleshoot of the brushes were shot. I ended up frying a 2.0ah battery.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somewhere along my time with LiPo hobby batteries I learned or was told they last X amount of cycles, regardless of how each cycle. A cycle is discharge-recharge, so in essence every time you connect the charger the lifespan is reduced by 1.

I don’t know if that translates to NiMH batteries, nor if it’s actually true. I also was told the above is generally speaking, as technically they slightly degrade every time they cycle, but at a certain cycle number (the cycles or lifespan from above) it really starts to degrade.

For example, and these are not actual numbers, just a demonstration of what I was told:
a battery may maintain 90% of its full charge rating for 100 cycles, then for the next 50 maintain 80%, then after that it may only take 10 cycles to be essentially useless.
I've never had an issue with my DeWalt NiMH batteries. I only had one 2.0ah die when I burned out my hammer drill and tried to troubleshoot it. The oldest 20v batteries are from 2011 and they've been charged 100s of times.

Only time will tell. I'm not hard on my OPE so I'm sure this mower will last 5-10 years unless the design is poor and not reliable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My bad I meant lithium ion batteries. You can tell I'm getting old :ROFLMAO:. I haven't used the NiMh in a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts