Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the news that Sears is selling its Craftsman line to Stanley/Black and Decker....considering how cheaply made their tools are, I'm sure Craftsman snow blowers are doomed to become even cheaper made then they are now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It was at least six or seven years ago when I heard an analyst on the radio state that Sears was "a corpse". By now I guess it qualifies as a zombie.

It's sad to see Craftsman go like this, but you can't say nobody saw it coming. They've been backing off on the guarantee for quite some time now... It used to apply to everything and they meant it. Lately it's just been hand tools.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really have no idea what they're going to do. All I know for sure is that the Black and Decker of today is not anything like the company they were when I was growing up.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
jmo...but it wont much matter...mtd made sub par machines now.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
so if B&D buys the craftsmans line will B&D replace free of charge all the tools sold before the buyout

·
Registered
121 Posts
Shame to hear it. I was at the Sears Outlet near me this past weekend and they had a slew of tractors and a couple zero turns corralled in the former Sears Hardware greenhouse. Two Yard Machines 2 stagers in the store and a number of Craftsman blowers on their website including a recon Husqvarna.

I never bought much from Sears but I did like their tool selection-much better than the box home centers as far as more specialized hand tools goes, I noticed their wrenches are no longer stamped "Made In USA" just "Craftsman" and word is that's mostly made in China. The department store here closed a few years ago leaving the nearest one about a 1/2 hr to 35 minutes away and the nearest Hardware store is about the same in the opposite direction.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
so if B&D buys the craftsmans line will B&D replace free of charge all the tools sold before the buyout
William, I honestly don't believe b&d will honor anything. They're junk.

·
Banned
474 Posts
They never got me as a customer 40 yrs ago when Sears would not honor any major credit card only their own.

On the few occasions my browser clicked on Sears their website was a total disaster to navigate.

·
Registered
943 Posts
for at least 2 decades these companies have been milking the brand name for all its worth

Wonder how much farther down B&D will take it

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
A shame what happened to Sears over the years do to poor management and not keeping up with the increased competition from the big boxes. Sears was once the Amazon of its time. There are houses in the county I live in that were ordered from the Sears catalog in a quaint local river town. The local store built in 1969 is now always empty when I go there. In the 90's their auto center had lines out the door for hours, people were buying Die Hard batteries and tires, now you would wait for 2 hours for a tire rotation because there are hardly any employees do to lack of business.

At the local mall where Sears is they sold their building to Simon properties and now rent from them. An employee there who I have known for years told me they are likely going to start renting out the lower level of the store. Unfortunately they are on their way out. I would hope that the Craftsman hand tool warranty would still be honored by B&D and a minimal fee if any charged for replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think Briggs & Stratton took over Murray, at least the name. I was looking for parts for my old AMF made Dynamark tractor and the part numbers were changed to Murray numbers which I then found crossed referenced to B&S, though my memory could be failing me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A Step Up

Personally, I think the sale of Craftsman will be good for the brand.

Sears has been hemorrhaging for years, which has devalued Craftsman. Tool quality has declined, warranty support is weak - unless you buy the extended warranty, and (in my area at least), Sears stores look awful - dirty, poorly-stocked, and run-down.

The B&D buyout will give Craftsman a new lease on life.

B&D doesn't make terrible tools - just cheap ones, with corresponding low quality. But, they also manufacture Bostitch, DeWalt and Husky, among others. They know plenty about tools.

I doubt B&D wants to turn Craftsman into another B&D. Makes no sense. They'll position Craftsman higher in the market, and support that position with better marketing, merchandising, inventory, warranty support and reliability.

Soon, Craftsman's distribution will expand. More volume means lower costs, better margins, and money for re-investment.

Craftsman won't regain the luster of it's glory years. But, it could again become a successful, well-respected brand.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, Strato, that's an optimistic viewpoint. It would be nice if you're right. I've got a lot of craftsman hand tools I'd like to see supported going forward.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
jmo...but it wont much matter...mtd made sub par machines now.
Sears are Murray products. Below MTD.
I'm sure some Craftsman snowblowers were once made by Murray, but not for a decade at least.
For the past 10 years or so, most of the Craftsman snowblowers sold in US Sears stores are made by MTD, and most Canadian Craftsmans are made by Husquvarna.

Scot

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Just like a lot of you are saying, it is a real shame what has happened to sears and craftsman. craftsman is about all I own. I was fortunate to buy most of them years ago when they were still made in the USA.

Now the only time I buy craftsman tools is from garage sales if they are stamped USA. Recently acguired a boatload of tools and boxes that were 60 and 70 years old. All made in the USA and almost in perfect condition.

Craftsman is just going to degenerate to a glorified Stanley.

What tools can we get now? I am not a professional and can not justify buying snap on or mac. So what now , brown cow?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts