Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So someone stole my 1961 Ariens Sno Thro picture for their ebay ad!

It's not a big deal but I was browsing ebay and said "hey that's my snowblower". It's clearly not a 1963 and I'd feel bad if someone offered him close to that $500 asking price which is...... CRAZY.

I guess I should feel honored they chose mine.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
I sent the seller this question:

"Is that snowblower shown in the photo the actual one being bid on?"

Let's see if we get an answer. Seller only has 40 ratings, but all are positive, which on ebay anymore doesn't mean all that much. You might contact ebay and let them know your picture has been pirated..

I found a Honda HS622 for sale on Craig's List out east once, and the seller was using photos of my HS622 taken in my driveway in Illinois. The seller didn't think it important to mention that he'd borrowed my photos. We went back and forth for quite a while and I even posted a cautionary listing telling people that the one pictured wasn't the one they were potentially buying.

He finally either found his own camera, or other photos to use because he took mine off of his listing.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
The funniest thing is the ebay listing has a link to a video, presumably of the actual machine being sold. He could have just used a screen capture from the video!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Not even close to the one in the video. Different mufflers, painted vs chrome handles, name plate across handle bars ....

Hopefully the one in the video is the one and it really is for sale and he just stole the photo as his isn't anywhere as photogenic. THIEF !!

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
It's happened to me several times!
most of the time its because people are too lazy to take their own photo, so they just grab one off the internet..
or it could be scam posts, where there is actually nothing for sale..but it can also be more benign..

just out of curiosity, I once called a seller who was using one of my photos!
it was on Craigslist out in Ohio somewhere..
I played it innocent, posing as a regular buyer with questions..it went something like this:

me: "Hi, im calling about the Ariens snowblower you have for sale, I have a few questions about it.."

seller: "great! what would you like to know?"

me: "im looking for a 1970's era Ariens, is the one in your ad the actual one you are selling?"

seller: "actually no..im selling it for my Dad..he has zero computer knowledge, and I have very little,
so I found a photo on the internet that looked just like it, and used that..
so its not the actual snowblower we are selling, but I think its the same model.."

Since he admitted it instantly, and I really believed that he was telling the truth about selling it for his Dad and all that,
I didnt even tell him why I called! ;) I just made up something about how its not exactly what im looking for,
I want a later 70's and I "think" you have an early 70's, (playing ignorant!) ;) but thanks for the info..etc..

If the guy had lied outright and said "yep! that's the one!" then I would have called him on it! ;)
but I didnt feel the need to in this case..so I just let it go..

Scot

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
You have to wonder if the guy ever considered that he might get a call from the person whose picture he was using?

In this day and age when everybody has a camera in their pocket, otherwise known as a cell phone, why don't they use their own pictures? I mean, even I've been able to figure out how to post them here from my phone using the mobile version of the site.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If the guy had lied outright and said "yep! that's the one!" then I would have called him on it! ;)
but I didnt feel the need to in this case..so I just let it go..

Scot
Honest about the photo or not, I still would not purchase from them. Maybe I'm too hard-nosed but I've been ripped off in online transactions a few times. If I sniff the slightest whiff of fish, I'm outta there.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
This thread's title is a bit alarming

Maybe the title could be changed to

They STOLE my Ariens Snowblower (picture) !!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
He sent me an email saying : No this is not for sale on Ebay. That machine on Ebay is NOT a 1963 10ml-60. The one on Ebay is 1962 10M-L35. Thanks for sharing Mark.

A 1962 10ML35, what it changed clothes when he wasn't looking ??
This is really starting to smell.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
It gets even stranger !! The video isn't the sellers either.

I got this from the guy with the video:
Mark, The Ebay listing is not me or my machine. I don't know why that Ebay seller used my video to help sell his machine. I live in N.J. The seller is from Massachusetts. I'm not certain what the seller was trying to do with using my video. Thanks again for pointing it out. I have messaged the seller to let him know to stop using my video as it does not match the machine he has.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Wow... I hope both the owner of the photo and video report this guy to ebay.

It certainly make you wonder about other things he has listed, like this:
:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
The video owner did. I was grilling him a little before I understood he wasn't the ebay seller and he didn't appreciate it, understandably so.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You could always send him a picture of a bill for the use of your image
(but if he was clever, he would probably send you a picture of the fee in cash..)

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
when ever you post a pic on this internet thing. it is no longer yours. those name stamp things help some. but it now belongs to the world.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts