Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray 10/29 G2914050

Shifter is locked, friction disk is not sliding, somewhere underneath in the guts. I'm afraid I'm going to have tear out 1 piece at a time. Feels like there's a hump that needs to get over, almost like the lobe on a cam. It wants to but can't. The friction disk is loose on the hex shaft and will slide, moves just a little both ways so it's not frozen, not enough to slide over enough shift, but something somewhere is preventing it from moving sideways. There's some rust on the left but that all the mechanism jiggles a little left and right on the hex shaft so the rust doesn't seem to be affecting it. The shifter rod is disconnected. This seems like a warm weather project.
20210205_130904.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've seen a lot on those style Murrays the front end of the fork that the friction wheel assembly rides in pops out of the frame. You can't really see it when you open the belly because that end is away from you. It binds the assembly even though you can hand move it a little.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Looks like a lot of rust on the hex shaft blocking it's free movement.
Clean off the shaft, sand it with some emery cloth and grease it with some 'Arctic' cold weather grease and it might move freely again.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a lot of rust on the hex shaft blocking it's free movement.
Clean off the shaft, sand it with some emery cloth and grease it with some 'Arctic' cold weather grease and it might move freely again.
I agree with the rust on the left side could be impeding movement to the left but there is no rust underneath nor on the right and it doesn't slide to the right. Either way it doesn't belong and needs to be removed. This happens because hex shafts do not get greased by homeowners or shops.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In review of the picture...what we have here is a lack of lubrication on the slide axel. The disc itself also looks older with possible hardening of the rubber. I would change the friction disc while I had the machine in the service position cleaning and lubing the axel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts