Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to load some pictures to a new thread and was refused. It appeared I had used 41 megs and there was no more room. I deleted a couple of pages of pictures which reduced my total to a bit over 30 megs. Tried to upload the new pictures and the message said that I was only entitled to 22 megs. Seems the new software comes with new limitations.

Are there any options on the space allowed for members pictures?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
you can use google. just have to make sure to put the pictures in a shared album and use the right link to the picture. you can also use facebook as long as the photo are made public.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@Town,

I found it strange back awhile ago when I encountered the same issue. It is sure strange that this forum was set up with restrictions on pictures that people can load to show others in order that they have a better understanding of what is going on when they come to this forum.

It makes no sense to not allow people to load in the pictures to assist others when they come to this site.

I used up my data limit, so what I did was bring up all my posts, and deleted every picture I ever loaded, and this allowed me once again to start inserting pictures into my posts.

Its a shame really, as now when people come to this site to look for help, they will not have any pictures to reference in older posts of mine. I don't load the pictures for my help, but to assist others coming here.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Town,

I found it strange back awhile ago when I encountered the same issue. It is sure strange that this forum was set up with restrictions on pictures that people can load to show others in order that they have a better understanding of what is going on when they come to this forum.

It makes no sense to not allow people to load in the pictures to assist others when they come to this site.

I used up my data limit, so what I did was bring up all my posts, and deleted every picture I ever loaded, and this allowed me once again to start inserting pictures into my posts.

Its a shame really, as now when people come to this site to look for help, they will not have any pictures to reference in older posts of mine. I don't load the pictures for my help, but to assist others coming here.
Thanks for your insight. I did not realize there is a limit on space since storage is so cheap. The enforcement through the new software is quite discouraging, but I will not delete any more of my pics. I will try posting without pics and see how that goes..

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
There has always been a limit on how much photo data you can use. You have to remember although you might think storage space is cheap it's not just one or two people but years of multiple people uploading and every post is archived.

The easiest solution is to support the forum and buy a membership. In almost everyone's case the help they've received on this forum would have easily cost them a lot more than the forty bucks a lifetime membership costs. How much would one trip back to a service center cost for an estimate ?? Or you can do the fifteen dollar yearly should you choose.

The problem with going back and deleting to add new stuff is at times it can make the old post less useful or even meaningless when you remove photos that explain what you're talking about.

Town, if you bought the lifetime when you joined it would only cost you eight dollars a year so far and with each year it's cheaper. That's like one movie ticket or two coffees or a nice cocktail, ...
For me the big thing is much less advertising. :3tens:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
There has always been a limit on how much photo data you can use. You have to remember although you might think storage space is cheap it's not just one or two people but years of multiple people uploading and every post is archived.

The easiest solution is to support the forum and buy a membership. In almost everyone's case the help they've received on this forum would have easily cost them a lot more than the forty bucks a lifetime membership costs. How much would one trip back to a service center cost for an estimate ?? Or you can do the fifteen dollar yearly should you choose.

The problem with going back and deleting to add new stuff is at times it can make the old post less useful or even meaningless when you remove photos that explain what you're talking about.

Town, if you bought the lifetime when you joined it would only cost you eight dollars a year so far and with each year it's cheaper. That's like one movie ticket or two coffees or a nice cocktail, ...

Kiss4aFrog

Great post

I too was upset the other day when I had to remove photos from previous posts to free up space, knowing that previous posts with photos, would now make no sense.

However, you have made some very valid points, especially the value of the help and advice I have received from this forum. During these tough times, it is good to be part of a community that helps and supports one another and offers insights from different regions and countries.

So, I just purchased a Lifetime membership:yahoo: . Still worth it to me at $59.10 CAD

Take care everyone

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you it makes sense, but do you get more than 22 meg of picture data with a lifetime membership?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Respectfully, I load pictures here to help others.

Paying to load pictures to help others, not something that I am willing to do.

I'll continue to delete pictures if need be.

I have been here for over 9 years helping others, just seems that pictures help with that assistance. Paying to have to keep and load pictures, which are not for me, but to assist others, seem to be what this site should maintain, but guess not.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
You can use an image hosting site, like https://imgur.com/

You don't need to create an account there. You can upload an image, and it generates a link. Then include that link in your post, and people can access the picture. Or I believe you can upload multiple images, that would appear as kind of an album.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can click the link below my signature for more info or https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/payments.php

100 MB of photo storage

I looked up the page you quoted, it is helpful but I don't understand the difference between "Attachment Storage at 5GB to Unlimited" and "Photo Storage 5 MB to 100 MB". When I upload a picture (Drag and Drop File Upload) it is called an "Attachment" and I don't understand why this is classed as photo storage and not Attachment Storage?

Pictures are a major part of the user experience and they cannot be replaced by dialogue. Having a 5 MB limit for my Regular membership is confusing since the previous software allowed me to use 41 MB without issue and the new software allows me 22 MB. The rules and their definition and enforcement are not consistent.

Thanks for helping me through this dilemma.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@Town,

I agree, … paying to post a picture to help someone coming to this forum for help, is not something I intend to do.

I will keep deleting older pictures to post newer ones if needed.

Its the people that want to come to this site for help that it is hurting, certainly not myself. A shame that they will only see words.

I am not going to bother to go to yet another site, log in, or set up an account, figure how to post pictures to that site, then create a link to that site, come back to this site, then open my post here, and create a link to the other site that has my picture posted, in order to assist someone else in there situation.

Or, I just forget about assisting others here all together.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Town,

I agree, … paying to post a picture to help someone coming to this forum for help, is not something I intend to do.

I will keep deleting older pictures to post newer ones if needed.

Its the people that want to come to this site for help that it is hurting, certainly not myself. A shame that they will only see words.

I am not going to bother to go to yet another site, log in, or set up an account, figure how to post pictures to that site, then create a link to that site, come back to this site, then open my post here, and create a link to the other site that has my picture posted, in order to assist someone else in there situation.

Or, I just forget about assisting others here all together.
Since your posts are extraordinarily helpful with or without pictures it would be a shame if you no longer post. Hopefully the new software can be updated to a consistent approach that recognizes the importance of pictures to the users. Then you would not need to delete your current pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the problems with modern smart phone cameras is that they default to super high resolution pictures which take up loads of space. You can reduce the resolution in camera settings or get a free app from the store to reduce it once taken. For forum use you should be able to use much smaller file sizes and still show enough detail.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the problems with modern smart phone cameras is that they default to super high resolution pictures which take up loads of space. You can reduce the resolution in camera settings or get a free app from the store to reduce it once taken. For forum use you should be able to use much smaller file sizes and still show enough detail.
Yes, and on my computer I do drop the size of my pics to 1024 x 768 px which results in pictures in the range of 100 KB - 250 KB which keeps the readability of the original 5 MB file on my phone. I think there is a size limit to upload files here but some forums automatically reduce the file size on upload.

·
Let it snow
680 Posts
I looked up the page you quoted, it is helpful but I don't understand the difference between "Attachment Storage at 5GB to Unlimited" and "Photo Storage 5 MB to 100 MB". When I upload a picture (Drag and Drop File Upload) it is called an "Attachment" and I don't understand why this is classed as photo storage and not Attachment Storage?

Pictures are a major part of the user experience and they cannot be replaced by dialogue. Having a 5 MB limit for my Regular membership is confusing since the previous software allowed me to use 41 MB without issue and the new software allows me 22 MB. The rules and their definition and enforcement are not consistent.

Thanks for helping me through this dilemma.
Sorry for the confusion.

Photo Storage refers to the Gallery
And attachment storage refers to Uploads within threads.

Ed

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the confusion.

Photo Storage refers to the Gallery
And attachment storage refers to Uploads within threads.

Ed
Thank you for your explanation, however, it does not seem to fit my situation. I have never knowingly used the Gallery and when I searched it for "Town" there was nothing found. So the 5 MB limit for photos does not seem to apply to me. Could it also apply to the "Garage" photos, if so then I will delete my Garage.

I use the upload feature in threads to put my pictures in my posts. So that is covered by the 5 GB Attachment rule for Members. So while the old software accurately interpreted the rules for me, the new software does not.

Sorry for being a pain and taking you away from your more pressing duties implementing the new software.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
definitely feels like they got things a bit backwards if they are willing to give you 5gb of photo storage in the gallery but only 5mb in the threads where people are more likley to use it. heck even 1gb for attachments and 1gb for photo storage would likely be more than enough. maybe the admin team should consider it since some threads are useless without pictures and if you have to delete all your old pictures to post more you are making a lot of old threads useless.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@crazzy,

Exactly …. The fact that people have to delete photos in older posts that help people that search for them or come across them in their search for help is pretty lame.

It does not assist the person that originally posted the thread in order to help others, but is there to assist others in the future that need assistance.

At that rate, pretty soon all older posts should be deleted, and this forum will be for only real time assistance, or short term help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.