Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here...I want to replace the plug on my snow blower but I am not sure what plug it's supposed to take.
It's an overhead valve 12 HP Tecumseh. It has an NGK plug in it now but I have no reason to thinks it's the right one, or the wrong one. I don't know what it's supposed to take. I'd like to know what belongs in it.
The shop were it was purchased says that they cannot figure out what the plug should be...and they tried. I stood there for 45 minutes while they looked up all kinds of things on the internet and even called a few of their other shops. One guy tried to tell me it's not an overhead valve motor...it is.
The machine model number is 31AE9831190...does not get me to the motor or plug.
My fall back is to put another plug like the one that's in it back but I'd sure like to know what it should be. Any help will be appreciated.
The machine has run pretty well with the current plug. It's a real beast.

·
2,394 Posts
welcome to the SBF

please recheck the model number as i think the 31190 could be 3i190 as i can't find the posted number, take that ngk to a auto parts store along with the model information off the motor, it MAY be a champion RN4C

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Welcome to SBF Mack

The model number isn't going to get you to the 12hp as the original as you stated was a 10hp. You need to find the ENGINES ID numbers and post those so we can find the correct plug for the 12 HP OHV.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Most ohv tecumsehs call for an rn4c, but I throw bpr6es plugs in all of my tecumseh ohv engines and they always end up running a bit better and start easier as well. Don’t know why, that’s the way ngks have always been for me, just a better plug

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The NGK 'B "P" R' plug is an extended/Projected tip/electrode that will ignite the fuel better because it sticks out into the mixture better.
The 'B R' plug is the standard recessed tip that doesn't stick out into the fuel mixture as well.
Most power equipment uses the 'BPR' series plugs. Cold weather use normally calls for a hotter '5' plug, lawn equipment sometimes calls for a '6' plug in most cases.
A 'BPR5ES' or a 'BPR6ES' is a standard plug for Honda and many others.
'Champion' plugs are another very common power equipment spark plug manufacturer which usually work pretty well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great information..wow. Thank you..CAPHCAS, good catch..the number I posted is wrong.. it is 31AE983I190

Kiss4aFrog....understood and agreed...where is that number located? I'm trying not to take the covers or tank (anything) off this thing if I can avoid it...it's 10 degrees out! Definitely an OHV 12 HP SnowKing.
I didn't pull the plug to match to it since I was not sure if it was the right one...but I will pull it and take a look and post the number here. As cold as it is I'll need to be pretty careful getting it out.

ST1100A, arienskids....appreciate the insight...very helpful explanation.
So much knowledge shared here. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the plug and it is an NGK B7ES. Gapped at a snug .030...looks pretty good.
It's been in the machine for four seasons and the machine is starting on one pull even on a cold day like today (11) and it's running pretty well, premium ethanol free fuel...I can probably leave it in there a bit longer since it's not showing any signs of wear.
I see Champion N4, N4C and N7 as replacements...not sure which of those would be equivalent to the NGK?

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts

If all else fails I'd go for the NGK BPR5ES also know as #7734 or if NGK isn't available or you just like Champion RN11YC4

Reactions: Mack
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.