Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Tecumseh HMSK80 with a Campion RJ19LM spark plug. Is this correct plug or should it be Champion RJ8C?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed spark plug.
Cleaned carb, and still runs bad. I have never had a tecumseh that worked perfect for years:mad:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, it would appear, with the flame out of the exhaust, that your valves may need to be lapped and adjusted. As I sure that you are aware of, the flame and rough operation are a good indication of lost compression. I know that you posted previously, on what you've done so far. I am not sure that you have dug into it, thus far. And if you have the ability to conduct a compression test, I might suggest that to verify compression.

Another possibility, that the carburetor may be running too rich, which is a simple adjustment. A rule of thumb, is to screw the mixture adjustment screw all the way in, and back out 3 revolutions. Or, you could start with turning the adjustment in 1/4 of a turn, while it's running to see if it improves.

"runs like old donkey" I can honestly say that the first time I've heard that.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, it's either a compression leakage issue, or the carburetor is not able to maintain the proper fuel air ratio. With these emissions regulated engines, they are particular to having all the internal passages clean.

I've found that an inexpensive ultrasonic jewelry cleaner works great. Others will recommend a chemical bath type, and they do work, but I'm completely unfamiliar with what to recommend, as I've never been to Norway and do not know what you have available.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it with me at work. Have a huge washer on the ship i work on. :)
I think i have found the problem, its no clearance on the exhaust valve...:mad:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I take it with me at work. Have a huge washer on the ship i work on. :)
I think i have found the problem, its no clearance on the exhaust valve...:mad:
You are getting closer it seems, there are good youtube vids for anything valves on HM80 so here's one to start with and you can find one for lapping. Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.
When adjusting these valves you have to take of a little bit of the stem?
My big question is how to get of the valve retainer?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thanks.
When adjusting these valves you have to take of a little bit of the stem?
My big question is how to get of the valve retainer?
You have 2 threads on the same subject, you might have better success on the other thread with the Youtube links given there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts