Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HSS1332ATD is now one year old and only has 17 hours on it. I fired it up today and tied the auger lever down (I wanted to look to see which direction the impeller was spinning) and I noticed that I have a squeaking sound coming from either the auger or impeller. it's a continuous squeak, squeak, squeak...

What could be causing this? I looked in the owners manual and under the service section it says you should check the oil level in the auger transmission. Can't imagine that being low after only 17 hours, but how do you check that? It's not readily apparent to me.

Any other possibilities? I never caught anything in the auger that shouldn't be there (just snow), so nothing is bent. Never noticed any oil leaks, either.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I dont have any hss models and dont work on them since most are still under warranty. the older hs models have a plug in the middle of front face. the level is correct if a little oil comes out if you remove the plug on a level surface.

@tabora has an hss model as well as many other members. they'll chime in after dinner and a few drinks maybe.

if the oil is okay I guess i would check the belts which are right behind the impeller. i know how hard it is to locate a noise on a noisy machine.

is it a squeak squeak squeak as in each revolution or a constant squealing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just fired it up to listen. Man, it's hard to tell. Many short squeaks. Even at the lowest speed you can't see the impeller, it's moving too fast. Can't tell by listening if the squeak is in the augers or impeller area. Tried high speed, too. Stlll get the squeaks. Like a lot of fast, quick squeaks.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I just fired it up to listen. Man, it's hard to tell. Many short squeaks. Even at the lowest speed you can't see the impeller, it's moving too fast. Can't tell by listening if the squeak is in the augers or impeller area. Tried high speed, too. Stlll get the squeaks. Like a lot of fast, quick squeaks.
I know it only has 17 hours on it. did perhaps you hit something? any augers bent? can you tie downhandle at idle speed to maybe get a better idea? I'm sure you already tried.

with engine off did you check for anyplay with the impeller? too few hours to be impeller bearing. long shot. are all shear pins tight? all side bolts tight on each side of auger housing?

too bad you couldnt post video.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never hit anything, and I did tie down the handle to look but things spin too fast. tomorrow I'll go out and check the things you mentioned. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I never hit anything, and I did tie down the handle to look but things spin too fast. tomorrow I'll go out and check the things you mentioned. Thanks.
ya , we are just throwing darts and hoping to hit something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another good line (I can't remember which movie it came from): "I just came here to water my horse and drink the dust outa my craw"

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are running it dry, just sitting there, that might be the squeak. Try blowing some snow to get some lubrication in there. If you don't have any snow yet, just spray some water in there while it's running. That might quiet it down. Don't forget to install the impeller flaps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly what my dealer suggested, wait for snow and see if the squeak goes away. Thanks! What are impeller flaps?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That's exactly what my dealer suggested, wait for snow and see if the squeak goes away. Thanks! What are impeller flaps?
He is talking about adding rubber to the impellers blades, then, it has been said, that you can even throw water out the chute.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Ed and Tabora - thanks for the replies. I can't recall having any problem with my current (stock) impeller situation. What kind of conditions warrant these impeller mods? Real wet, sticky snow?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts