Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need an intervention? I am new to snowblowers and now own three of the beggars, and not one has touched a snowflake. The last one I picked up is this Ariens SS522 which, for $10 and running, seemed like a decent buy.
Anyway, I was going through a few things and came across this little annoyance...

DSCN4127.jpg

It wouldn't be much of an issue except the gaskets don't appear to be available individually. It looks like Ariens wants you to buy the whole tank for the filter gasket and a whole cap for the cap gasket.

Before I start figuring out how to cobble something up to fix this, I thought I'd see if anyone reading might have had this issue and solved it, or if not, maybe chime in with some brilliant plan (which doesn't involve forking over $$$ for new tanks and caps!)

jonny

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to the motorcycle store today and got some 3/8 ID, 9/16 OD Motion Pro clear fuel tube. Sure looks like some cheap polysomtene but dimensionally it seemed like it would work.
It was a slight friction fit in the hole in the gas tank, so I cut a 3/4" length and held it in the tank hole while I forced the fuel fitting in. Now it is a much tighter friction fit.

DSCN4128.jpg

I have no idea how long this will last, but here it is after holding gas for 30 minutes.

DSCN4129.jpg

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i know it probably wont do you as much good now but if that doesn't hold you might be able to use a filter like what is used on most honda gx fuel tanks or you could always go to buy automotive fuel line fittings for stuff like that but it would be a more permanent solution. also sometimes searching ebay works to find parts sometimes works. there are some parts that are compatible with other machines whether they are listed or not. sometime just have to find measurements for the parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is exactly what I need. When this cave man solution fails I'll get one of those.

Now, on to the gas cap gasket...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some 8mm OD vacuum tubing for my Toyota was a perfect fit for the space where the old gasket went.

DSCN4130.jpg

The hollow tubing crushes nicely upon install onto the tank. The butt joint is likely not a perfect seal so I'll have to remember to avoid blowing 70 degree slopes or storing it upside down.

DSCN4131.jpg

Good enough for the rest of the summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts