Snowblower Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I can think of two possible answers to that question:

1) The engine runs at a different RPM? Horsepower = torque times RPM times a constant. So even if the torque remains the same, if you increase RPM you increase horsepower.

2) They're lying. Kind of like on my Shop-Vac at home that claims "5 horsepower" when it's physically impossible to get more than about 2-1/2 horsepower out of a standard home electrical outlet (one horsepower = 746 watts, a 15-amp 120-volt outlet can put out 1800 watts - you do the math).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is the Platinum series snowblower only us and canada ?.
Not sold here in norway.
in Norway all snowblower are listed with kw and hp if not on snowblower the in the manual.
looking at ariens.com all snowblowers engines are in cc why?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Where is the "general consensus" located?

Is this you here?:D
RAILROAD.NET • View topic - SYSTEM MAP BOXCAR

The original map car had the map only on one side, the doors on that side were welded shut.

The original car is the one I posted.

Like the other day I have no time again, when I do I will add a little more.

Is Railroad.net the consensus that you were talking about?
Or is there somewhere else I can look at?
Scot, I don't know if you want train info here, I signed up to railroad.net to see the couple pictures that you have there. If they ever send me an email confirmation I will add to that thread.
I have more pictures, the car here is said to be the original car. Map only on one side. And in poor shape like you see. Some historical train place was trying to buy the car from them. The tracks leading into the place were removed years ago when the redid the main line. The place that wanted to buy it said it would cost too much to dismantle the car and ship it to them for restoration.Through out the years guys have stopped by with books picturing this car. They all said the same thing that this was the original map car. Only one side had the map and the other side had a door. It was black though looks blue now from the weathering and the map side was white.

They bought the car from LV back in 68 or 69, as LV knew the end was near and was glad to get some money for it. The car had been parked there from the middle 60's.

The LV 97455 is a different car, this one still sits there full of hay, with the number 62324.

Is that the site where you say the general consensus is?
Or is there somewhere else? I love RR history.:)

Not much out there on the net of the map car.

On a side note.....how is that garden RR coming along?
You have not updated it for a while? I read through it this morning.
Cool old switch stand marker you found, a nice addition.
Where the heck did you find that? I almost had an old CNJ lighted switch stand years ago but was unwilling to pay the price. If I could I would like to redo an old CNJ caboose an plant it in my backyard.
I can hear the neighbors now.:p

·
Registered
330 Posts
I can think of two possible answers to that question:

1) The engine runs at a different RPM? Horsepower = torque times RPM times a constant. So even if the torque remains the same, if you increase RPM you increase horsepower.

2) They're lying. Kind of like on my Shop-Vac at home that claims "5 horsepower" when it's physically impossible to get more than about 2-1/2 horsepower out of a standard home electrical outlet (one horsepower = 746 watts, a 15-amp 120-volt outlet can put out 1800 watts - you do the math).

This pisses me off more than you can ever imagine and has for years.

I've seen a 5HP electric motor and it's bigger than the largest shop vac. The strongest shopvac made that claims what, 6.5HP? is likely 1.5HP at the absolute most.

I don't understand how companies like that can flat out lie and get away with it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Scot, I don't know if you want train info here, I signed up to railroad.net to see the couple pictures that you have there. If they ever send me an email confirmation I will add to that thread.
I have more pictures, the car here is said to be the original car. Map only on one side. And in poor shape like you see. Some historical train place was trying to buy the car from them. The tracks leading into the place were removed years ago when the redid the main line. The place that wanted to buy it said it would cost too much to dismantle the car and ship it to them for restoration.Through out the years guys have stopped by with books picturing this car. They all said the same thing that this was the original map car. Only one side had the map and the other side had a door. It was black though looks blue now from the weathering and the map side was white.

They bought the car from LV back in 68 or 69, as LV knew the end was near and was glad to get some money for it. The car had been parked there from the middle 60's.

The LV 97455 is a different car, this one still sits there full of hay, with the number 62324.

Is that the site where you say the general consensus is?
Or is there somewhere else? I love RR history.:)

Not much out there on the net of the map car.

On a side note.....how is that garden RR coming along?
You have not updated it for a while? I read through it this morning.
Cool old switch stand marker you found, a nice addition.
Where the heck did you find that? I almost had an old CNJ lighted switch stand years ago but was unwilling to pay the price. If I could I would like to redo an old CNJ caboose an plant it in my backyard.
I can hear the neighbors now.:p
Ok, I will guess no?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Sorry Ed!
I must have missed that post of yours..

I dont recall the exact places the boxcar was discussed..
I have been active on railfan forums for almost 20 years! :)
lots of discussion in many places over the years..

The garden railroad has basically been on hold for the past three years! :(
got laid off from Kodak in spring 2012, went back to school, full time, for two years, then started a new career! so the garden railroad has been in limbo..
I hope to actually start it back up this year! :) I need a new supply of Central NY flat rocks..I need to find a local stream bed I can get rocks from..

Im also going to start up a new modeling project, I recently started the webpage for it:

https://sites.google.com/site/scotlawrence/home

That page hasnt been shared publicly yet! ;) because its not ready..
this is the first time I have posted it anywhere..

More info on the project will be coming soon..im going to build seven passenger cars to go with the locomotives..so, things are looking up! finally..

Scot

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Scot I was just reading your page. This might peak your interest but just like Mike's 1974 8/32 my serial number of 004595 are on the tractor and bucket. My tractor is 9240013 and scoop is 9240012. My production number is not low like Mike's but maybe the 1974 units were sold only as a complete unit.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey Scot,

I drove ~90 miles each way to pick up a Bolens Artic 75 that is in decent shape. Would you like to have pictures of it posted on page 11 of your website?

Here's a photo of it right after I unloaded it from my station wagon and put the 2 halves together tonight:

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Hey Scot,

I drove ~90 miles each way to pick up a Bolens Artic 75 that is in decent shape. Would you like to have pictures of it posted on page 11 of your website?

Here's a photo of it right after I unloaded it from my station wagon and put the 2 halves together tonight:

thanks DB!
that's a very nice looking Ariens/Bolens, yes, I would love some pictures for the webpage! :) you can email me at [email protected]
thanks! :icon-cheers:

Scot

·
Registered
351 Posts
Scot,

I don't know if you'd be interested in more info about the more recent machines on your Page 12 but if so, I have two. One of them is the "limited edition" 2015 model year Deluxe 28+ 921037 of which about 300 to 350 came though with the 414cc LCT motors. The story I got via the dealer I bought it from (and pretty much confirmed here) is that Ariens ran out of the 291cc motors and had a few extra 414's kicking around so used them on these machines. I think most of the them shipped to the northeast US, as a few lucky people near me seem to have also got them. Strange that Ariens didn't even bother giving this batch a different model number or name.

The other machine I have is a Platinum 30 (non-SHO) that was purchased new on 9/7/13 by the original owner. It's nothing special like the other, though if you want photos of either one just let me know.

Reactions: sscotsman

·
Registered
893 Posts

""Hi scot, glad you like it, it was fairly easy to install providing you take some measurements with calipers, the old engine had a 3/4 in shaft and was approximately 4 inches long , so that's what I looked for ,this new motor isn't the greatest, meaning it is only rated for 250 hours but I got it at a steal because Tecumseh is finished in this country, as far as being on a snow blower anyway, so maybe these people putting new Briggs motors on these machines are worried about parts availability. The motor is a 11hp Tecumseh and is very strong, it can go through the absolute deepest snow with out even a grunt."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for all th great work on your site! I just bought a 1971 5hp. Did the 5HP ever come with the differential? Were all models with differentials locking? I read that some did not have the "button" on the wheel but locked with a pin on the axle. Thanks again I'm learning a lot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Scot! I just signed in here thanks to your site. I wanted to thank you for all the wonderful info on Ariens. I live about 20 minutes away from Ariens in WI but I think they only make mowers out if that plant.

Either way, I picked up a 10,000 series from someone off Craigslist last year for $75 with the goal of restoring it a bit. Your site has been amazing so far helping me. I've hardly started but i think it's around a 1970s model. I will be around here frequently this fall getting it ready for winter.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts