Snowblower Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see remnants of a 10M6D serial on the back with an engine serial of 6215 model h60-75005f and thrower serial 7-10M. Would that make this a 66? It runs, just needs help cosmetically.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
I see remnants of a 10M6D serial on the back with an engine serial of 6215 model h60-75005f and thrower serial 7-10M. Would that make this a 66? It runs, just needs help cosmetically.
Todd,
yep, all those numbers say its a 1966 model 10M6D.
The engine serial number, 6215, says the engine was assembled at Tecumseh on "the 215th day of a year ending in 6"..
In this case, it can only be 1966.

Scot

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks again scot for all this info on your site, i just acquired a 1978ish 8hp/24" sno thro unit,runs well,electric start works,its not very pretty right now but all there,paid the fellow 250 for it,seems like a good deal to me,this is my second ariens,still havent got the first one runnign yet but they sure do seem like they are built to last ,thanks again for all the information very cool and it will help me immensley.bob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Scot, Your website has been an enormous help in dating my 10M6D snow-thro. It's original unrestored but heavily used. Below is a small photo. Let me know if you would like pictures for your website.
The tractor serial number points to it being a 1968, but the engine serial number is Serial No. 7229 04. From your earlier post here, would this be '67 build date?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Scot, Your website has been an enormous help in dating my 10M6D snow-thro. It's original unrestored but heavily used. Below is a small photo. Let me know if you would like pictures for your website.
The tractor serial number points to it being a 1968, but the engine serial number is Serial No. 7229 04. From your earlier post here, would this be '67 build date?
thanks! :)

yes, the engine was assembled at Tecumseh on "The 229th day of a year ending in 7"..In this case, we can be sure that "year ending in 7" means 1967.

the 227th day of the year is August 17th..
Thats somewhat late for snowblower production..considering the engine had to be shipped to Ariens, and probably didnt get there until September. Its possible snowblower production was already finished for the year by then, but its hard to say for sure. Two possibilities:

1. The engine did make it onto your snowblower in September 1967, and your snowblower was sold in the Autumn of 1967 as a 1967 model year machine.

2. Or, more likely IMO, the engine was born too late for the 1967 snowblower model year, and it sat around a few months until the Spring or Summer of 1968, when it was placed on your 1968 model year snowblower.

If you would liek to post all the model and serial numbers you can find, we might be able to work out the exact year..there should be three sets of data tags: attachment tag on the side of the scoop, tractor tag at the rear of the machine, and the Tecumseh engine tag. (We already have the relevant Tecumseh numbers, so you dont need to post those again..)

scot

·
Registered
17 Posts
I may need to shrink the photos to make them attachable, but here's the data. I was figuring '68 model year from the Tractor number.

Tractor: 10M6D Serial No. 047782
Snow thro Attachment: 7-10M Serial No. 121367
Engine: Tecumseh Snow King H60-7500G Serial No. 7229 04

Also, the Booklets that came with it are as follows:
Operating & Maintenance Instructions "Snow King" Horizontal Crankshaft Engines Four Cycle
181-45 (Revision 1-66)

Operating Instructions and Parts List
Ariens Sno-thro Attachment

Form SSA-67

Ariens Tractor, 5 H.P. Model, 6 H.P. Model, 7 H.P. Model

Form No. TIP-67

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
I may need to shrink the photos to make them attachable, but here's the data. I was figuring '68 model year from the Tractor number.

Tractor: 10M6D Serial No. 047782
Snow thro Attachment: 7-10M Serial No. 121367
Engine: Tecumseh Snow King H60-7500G Serial No. 7229 04

Also, the Booklets that came with it are as follows:
Operating & Maintenance Instructions "Snow King" Horizontal Crankshaft Engines Four Cycle
181-45 (Revision 1-66)

Ariens Sno-thro Attachment

Form SSA-67

Ariens Tractor, 5 H.P. Model, 6 H.P. Model, 7 H.P. Model

Form No. TIP-67
Yep, I would say its a 1968..
based on this Ariens chart:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow-Blowers/Ariens/10000-models2/796111524_zMvae-O.gif

the Tractor serial number says 1968..

And I have 7-10M scoop numbers:

7-10M - 24" Sno-Thro attachment - (serial numbers 47001-68000) (1964)
7-10M - 24" Sno-Thro attachment - (serial numbers 68001-87600) (1965)
7-10M - 24" Sno-Thro attachment - (serial numbers 87601-114900) (1966)
7-10M - 24" Sno-Thro attachment - (serial numbers 114901 and up) (1967-1968)

That dont *specifically* say 1968, but your high serial number, 121367, makes its pretty likely its also a 1968.

I would say its 90% likely you have a 1968 machine..close enough to call it IMO! ;)

Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
A lot of the links on the Ariens page do not work anymore. A lot of the old manuals don't load. It says domain request denied. I think Ariens co. had a few pulled. It would be nice if all the links worked again, there are some interesting links that cant be accessed.
yeah, I have noticed that..
I dont think Ariens pulled them, they just changed links..
general webpage maintenance can do that.
I'll see if I can fix them..

but most of the manuals are still there..just with new links.
you can still find the current links to the manuals by going to my "manual page", page 3:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/ariens/Page3.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the list of manuals, and click on the Ariens link where it says:

Ariens Owners, Parts and Service Manual Lookup:

Here is a page where you can enter your model and serial number,
and bring up relevant manuals. (including manuals for much newer machines.)

If you have a model number to look up, but not a specific serial number, I have found that entering serial number 001000 nearly always works well.
Scot

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah, I have noticed that..
I dont think Ariens pulled them, they just changed links..
general webpage maintenance can do that.
I'll see if I can fix them..

but most of the manuals are still there..just with new links.
you can still find the current links to the manuals by going to my "manual page", page 3:

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Scroll down to the bottom of the list of manuals, and click on the Ariens link where it says:

Scot
Scot -

We did make some changes to our site which might have caused this to happen.

Here is a link to our Ariens Support - Manuals.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also found this forum after finding Scot's site!
Just picked up my very first thrower yesterday, a 1978 Ariens 922019, complete and in great running condition but a bit rusty. Honestly I only know the date because of his Ariens site, and I look forward to learning how to maintain it and maybe do a bit of restoration.
Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
I also found this forum after finding Scot's site!
Just picked up my very first thrower yesterday, a 1978 Ariens 922019, complete and in great running condition but a bit rusty. Honestly I only know the date because of his Ariens site, and I look forward to learning how to maintain it and maybe do a bit of restoration.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks SB, glad you enjoyed the site! :icon-cheers:
and congrats on the find! sounds like a nice one..

Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Hey everyone,
as I type this, I am in the process of deleting my Ariens webpage, my Snowbird webpage, (links in my signature below)
and ALL my other webpages from the internet. :(

By morning, they will be gone..
Because of problems with my long-time (15 years) webpage host, mylargescale.com
We have lost the ability to upload new files (I can no longer make any changes) and some people are beginning to lose access..
So before im "locked out" permanently, which seems likely to happen soon, im deleting all my pages while I still can..

If service is restored, I can re-upload them..but I suspect I will need to search for a new webpage host.

But! there is still some good news for anyone who wants to access my pages..
the pages are archived! thanks to the good work by "the internet archive"..older versions still exist:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160213071727/http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/Ariens/

https://web.archive.org/web/20160913133331/http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/snowbird/

So those can still be useful..

I will update when I find a new home for my webpages..anyone have any suggestions?
thanks,
Scot

·
Registered
261 Posts
What the f this is terrible man !!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hopefully your web host gets their issues worked out because I have used your page literally dozens of times just to learn about my one Thrower, it is probably the most useful and comprehensive classic Ariens info site in existence!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts