Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story shortend .........

Climbed a steep snowbank with my ST-824. The front bucket took in too much snow and I ended up pushing snow rather than blowing. I started rocking the machine up and down which helped to spit out short blasts of snow. While on a 45* angle, the rod that runs down from the impeller engagement handle dug into the ground. The machine went forward up the snowbank and the rod became severely bent. This caused the spring and chain, that connects the end of the rod to the lever system, to fly off into the snow. I found those parts after I realized I had a damage problem with the bent rod.

Took the machine into my shop, straightened the rod, replaced the spring and chain and all looked well. When I try the blower out on a test run the impeller will not spin. I can smell burning rubber. If I reach down into the chute, with the blower turned off and not running, I can not move the impeller. It is solid with no play.

The compound levers, that the chain and spring hook on to, seemed OK before I replaced those two parts. I does seem obvious to me that I have jammed something solid. Tomorrow I will tip the blower up on the bucket, remove the inspection cover and take a look.

Any ideas on what is jammed and causing my locked up impeller problem?

Should I be able to reach down into the chute and move the impeller by hand, when the blower is simply sitting quiet? It seems to me that without engaging the impeller, by pushing down the engagement lever on the right hand grip, it should freewheel.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Miller

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Did you thaw it out, could be just frozen solid

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Long story shortend .........

Climbed a steep snowbank with my ST-824. The front bucket took in too much snow and I ended up pushing snow rather than blowing. I started rocking the machine up and down which helped to spit out short blasts of snow. While on a 45* angle, the rod that runs down from the impeller engagement handle dug into the ground. The machine went forward up the snowbank and the rod became severely bent. This caused the spring and chain, that connects the end of the rod to the lever system, to fly off into the snow. I found those parts after I realized I had a damage problem with the bent rod.

Took the machine into my shop, straightened the rod, replaced the spring and chain and all looked well. When I try the blower out on a test run the impeller will not spin. I can smell burning rubber. If I reach down into the chute, with the blower turned off and not running, I can not move the impeller. It is solid with no play.

The compound levers, that the chain and spring hook on to, seemed OK before I replaced those two parts. I does seem obvious to me that I have jammed something solid. Tomorrow I will tip the blower up on the bucket, remove the inspection cover and take a look.

Any ideas on what is jammed and causing my locked up impeller problem?

Should I be able to reach down into the chute and move the impeller by hand, when the blower is simply sitting quiet? It seems to me that without engaging the impeller, by pushing down the engagement lever on the right hand grip, it should freewheel.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Miller

If you are smelling burnt rubber that is most likely a belt problem.Might just have smoked the impeller bearing also.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Is the machine stored outside? Is it possible the impeller or auger are frozen (as in with ice, not "frozen" like a stuck bolt)?

It should be possible to turn the impeller with the engine not running, but there will be some resistance as there's a brake that engages when the lever is released.

I think the best bet would be to bring the machine into your shop and remove the belt cover. Then operate the auger drive handle, and see if the levers on the back of the tractor move when you do that, and that the idler applies tension to the belt when the handle is squeezed, and releases tension when the handle is let go. Also of course inspect the belt itself.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Try Turning the impeller by hand. If it is Stuck, Place a 2x4 in the chute resting on an impeller Blade. Hit the 2x4 with a large hammer until it Frees up. Then Try to operate it.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Jackmels has tons more experience than I do, so take my comment for what it's worth (hint: mine is free).

But if it were me, I would start by removing the belt cover and looking inside. Then, preferably, warming the machine so it can thaw, in case it's an ice problem. I'd do those before resorting to whacking it with a hammer.

Without knowing *why* it won't turn, hitting it might simply cause additional damage. And the other steps (thawing, etc) don't require a lot of time or effort, assuming you can bring it someplace warm.

PS, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
871 Posts
use heat gun/blow dryer to melt any ice and frozen snow in the impeller housing and the auger housing.
next is a seized impeller bearing but not likely to keep shaft from turning when auger lever is engaged

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
This sure sounds like it is iced up. I have never seen snow (where I have lived) that could completely obstruct the bucket, and that tends to tell me it must have been pretty sloppy . . . and since you could not clear it due to the faiure, I'd look at frozen solid first were it me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They will wedge tight if you let your auger bearing get to the point where the cage holding the balls in place go to crap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Do you mean the bearing(s) in the gearcase, or the one supporting the shaft between the impeller and the pulley?

It always seemed to me that if the latter bearing seized, it would just spin in the housing... it's not held that firmly. But I've never experienced it so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Do you mean the bearing(s) in the gearcase, or the one supporting the shaft between the impeller and the pulley?

It always seemed to me that if the latter bearing seized, it would just spin in the housing... it's not held that firmly. But I've never experienced it so I can't say for sure.
impeller bearing on shaft. gearcase would be ur last step once everything else is ruled out, but highly unlikely

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry, I meant the bearing that supports the impeller not the auger bearing.

The bearing in the photo stopped the engine dead. When the balls all run over to one side, they will lock up like a Chinese finger trap. The more torque you apply, the tighter it gets.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I would think long before a bearing got bad enough to lock up, it would make a hellacious noise... but I guess that noise could be drowned out by the snowblower's engine.

Fun story that sort of relates to this: a coworker once gave me a lawnmower he found at the dump. It was self-propelled, with a transmission in the rear and a shaft going out to each wheel. The shafts were carried in ball bearings held in the wheel adjusters, and had pinion gears on the end that engaged ring gears in the wheels.

Or would have... on one side, the wheel, shaft bearing, and the shaft outboard of the bearing, including the pinion gear, were missing!

I finally realized what happened is the prior owner had the bearing fail, and continued running it so long the dead bearing chewed all the way through the shaft. It cut it off so neatly it looked like it had been cut in a lathe!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry, I meant the bearing that supports the impeller not the auger bearing.

The bearing in the photo stopped the engine dead. When the balls all run over to one side, they will lock up like a Chinese finger trap. The more torque you apply, the tighter it gets.
the inner race of my bearing got obliterated, vid about it in my sig

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would think long before a bearing got bad enough to lock up, it would make a hellacious noise... but I guess that noise could be drowned out by the snowblower's engine.
Yeah, you would think, but he thought he only needed a belt replacement. I only realized his problem when I split the blower in two and tipped the bucket on end.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Did Anyone Else Think Maybe a Rock or Something is Jammed in the Impeller? I doubt it is bearing related.

Reactions: classiccat

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Actually Ice Frozen Augers are Very Easy to Free Up. Ice has no chance against Ball Joint Fork and Hammer, usually a couple minutes. On the Other Hand, Rocks and Other Jammed "Items" Might take some Doing. Had One with a Dog Chew Toy Jammed in the Auger that Took More than a Few Whacks to Free Up. Another Notable Mention was a Steel Dog Cable that got reeled into the rakes. That's What Happens When One Doesn't go Over the Grounds Before it Snows.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts