Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming into the third snow season for our no-longer-new ST227P, I decided to give it its own thread. Previously, info was piggybacked on the http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/husqvarna-snowblowers/71922-new-st-227p-some-questions-some-issues.html here.

Picking up where we left off last spring with storage prep, I decided yesterday to pull the cover off, blow the dust off and do the pre-season ritual stuff to it. Temps in the low 70's, seemed a perfect time to do everything, vs. on a frozen morning with inches of snow accumulating.

-- Retreated all the painted parts with paint sealant. I use a pro equivalent of Mequiars NXT 2.0 sealant, same stuff that protects the paint on the cars. It may help some with abrasion damage, but for sure it helps keep snow slush ice fro sticking. I do the impellers too.

-- Topped up the air in the tires. I'd max'd the pressure at 20 PSI in the spring, but it had drifted down to about 10 PSI over the summer. Between uses the machine sits on a little 4-wheel mover's dolly so the tires didn't "go flat" -- there's no weight on them. the dolly, incidentally, makes moving it around a LOT easier, keeps the scraper and shoes off the floor (no rust from sitting in water...), and was <$10 at the neighborhood Harbor Freight store.

-- Removed the spark plug (was finger tight) and cycled the engine a few times with the pull starter cord. This clears any remaining ATF and fogging oil from the cylinder. Plug is back in and tight, with teh wire reconnected.

-- Fill the tank with fresh treated fuel. the LCT manual for the engine recommends running the system out of fuel (fuel valve off) after each use. With treated fuel they say it's OK to leave fuel in the carburetor. Turns out that Sta-Bil is cheap enough to just dose the gas can at fill-up and never worry about it.

-- Check the oil level. It was just filled with fresh oil prior to storage in the spring, so this is a formality. Double-cautious, just in case the oil was stolen from it over the summer. Or I forgot to refill. Cheap and easy insurance. Oil level is good.

-- Drum roll... How quickly will it start? Last fall during the same effort, it started on the soft pull when I was trying to roll it up towards compression. This year it didn't. It actually took a full starting pull to bring it to life this time. Either the engine or the owner must be getting tired with age or something. Note that I've never considered using the electric-start capability. It starts so easily with the rope, why bother getting out and recoiling an extension cord for the electric start? I guess it works...

-- Let it run and warm up some, listening for funny noises, looking for leaks. None noted, so closed teh fuel shut-off, let the engine run to stall. Let it cool off, rechecked the oil level out of habit, rolled it onto its dolly, then rolled it all back to it's spot by the workbay door. Cover is folded and stored away.

I'm trying to decide if I should treat myself to a matching-orange balaclava this year. Neoprene or knit? Toughest decision so far.

Next duty: clean and wax the snow shovels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dr. bob,

always a pleasure reading your informative posts. likewise, I will get my st227p ready for its maiden voyage this winter this week while the weather is nice in Redmond. Who knows, my golf buddy bought a new Troy Bilt from Lowes a few weeks ago. Maybe with our combined maidens, there will be little snow compared to last year. That will be wishful thinking. Anyway, I put a new leading edge (steel bar) on my snow shovel (Costco) that I bought in 2005, our first winter here. It looks stout and mean. I will delegate to walkways only instead of my driveway.

I'll keep posting on how the Husky performs. I followed your postings last winter and got the Harbor Freight dolly to store the unit. So easy to move.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dr bob, can I ask what size (LxW) the Harbor Freight dolly you use to set the machine on is?

We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but I'm about to pickup a snowblower in a couple days (Either an ST227P or ST230P it's beginning to look like), and really like the idea of setting it on the furniture dolly when not in use. Just want to make sure whatever I pickup is the right size!

Thanks in advance :smile2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
dr bob, can I ask what size (LxW) the Harbor Freight dolly you use to set the machine on is?

We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but I'm about to pickup a snowblower in a couple days (Either an ST227P or ST230P it's beginning to look like), and really like the idea of setting it on the furniture dolly when not in use. Just want to make sure whatever I pickup is the right size!

Thanks in advance :smile2:
The dolly is 18"x12" for $7.99 US. a larger size is 30"x18"

The smaller size works perfectly for the ST227p.

Good Luck and welcome.

Check out other dr.bob postings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dolly is 18"x12" for $7.99 US. a larger size is 30"x18"

The smaller size works perfectly for the ST227p.

Good Luck and welcome.

Check out other dr.bob postings.
Thank you! Not sure if he posted that info already and I missed it, but much appreciated :smile2:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry guys I'm a couple days behind. A neighbor's 70-ish wife had knee surgery and needed a ramp and some handrails installed before the hospital would release her to come home. That rolled into doing some emergency plumbing for them when I saw a puddle of water in the garage. While I was there assembled his new little single-stage snow-flinger that had arrived in a box on a brown truck.

Anyway... The dolly dimensions shared already are correct. I just tilt in back onto the handles, slide the dolly under the front, then a pull while holding the dolly with one foot. Leaves the tires off the floor, also the scraper and the bottom of the bucket are out of the melt-off water after use. I dosed the swivel bearings and the axles/wheels with some spray lithium grease so it all goes a little smoother. Makes the machine really easy to move around the workbay when needed. Easy one-person on and off the dolly too.

I'm sure that other sizes/brands of snowblower could use a similar dolly. It's rated for a lot more than what the ST227P weighs, so worth a shot. If I had a tracked machine this would be a day saver.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For those playing along at home in the US, here's a link to the little Harbor Freight furniture dolly. 1000lb Capacity, mine isn't showing any signs of failure after a couple years of snowblower duty.

They are very regularly on coupon sale for $8.

A quick search for the same item at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto finds listings for a larger version; There's nothing matching the 12x18" Harbor Freight version. It looks like PA and CT have a lot of the same "bargain" imported pieces that H-F carries in the US. The pictures of the larger version are identical to the pictures of H-F's larger version.

Meanwhile, the carpeted 12"-wide dolly section fits nicely between the tires and under the center section. At 18" long, it ends up with the front end just behind the scraper bar, supporting the impeller barrel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Second Start Up (after initial start in March 2017/brand new-then stored).

Successful Start. Fresh fuel, checked oil level from first drain/refill with Mobil 1 5w-30 after I got it new in March.

Here's a tip that maybe helpful regarding spark plug seating. After I followed dr bob's posting on hand tightening plug for storage, I removed the 4x 10mm heat shield(muffler) bolts for easier access to the plug. I just didn't want to take the chance and cross thread the plug into the head. Worked well, easy to access the plug.

Moment of truth. Turned on all systems (choke, run switch on, fuel flow, red key insert) and pulled twice. First pull, pops, second pull, started. Not bad for a novice. The ST227P is on the dolly from Harbor Freight and I checked the transmission gears and auger. All operating normally.

So hopefully, a little tip on the heat shield will help others in not having a plug cross thread. I'll post after the first use. Ha, I bought a second snow shovel for my grandsons as they were fighting over the only one they had last winter. Now they have two. No snowblower in their future until they go through some life experiences.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Second Start Up (after initial start in March 2017/brand new-then stored).

Successful Start. Fresh fuel, checked oil level from first drain/refill with Mobil 1 5w-30 after I got it new in March.

Here's a tip that maybe helpful regarding spark plug seating. After I followed dr bob's posting on hand tightening plug for storage, I removed the 4x 10mm heat shield(muffler) bolts for easier access to the plug. I just didn't want to take the chance and cross thread the plug into the head. Worked well, easy to access the plug.

Moment of truth. Turned on all systems (choke, run switch on, fuel flow, red key insert) and pulled twice. First pull, pops, second pull, started. Not bad for a novice. The ST227P is on the dolly from Harbor Freight and I checked the transmission gears and auger. All operating normally.
That should delay winter here by at least two weeks. Snow comes earlier the times we aren't prepared.

Ha, I bought a second snow shovel for my grandsons as they were fighting over the only one they had last winter. Now they have two. No snowblower in their future until they go through some life experiences.
Nothing like having the kids hand-shovel the EOD frozen slush pile as a critical step towards adulthood. :devil: I can remember when those piles were well over my head. Of course I was in kindergarten at the time...

----

Out today doing yard and garden prep for winter. Needles and cones... Cleaned gutters again yesterday. K was in Salem yesterday and came over the pass last evening. Clear for most of the ride, snow on the sides, road wet. It's coming. I can feel it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For those playing along at home in the US, here's a link to the little Harbor Freight furniture dolly. 1000lb Capacity, mine isn't showing any signs of failure after a couple years of snowblower duty.

They are very regularly on coupon sale for $8.

A quick search for the same item at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto finds listings for a larger version; There's nothing matching the 12x18" Harbor Freight version. It looks like PA and CT have a lot of the same "bargain" imported pieces that H-F carries in the US. The pictures of the larger version are identical to the pictures of H-F's larger version.

Meanwhile, the carpeted 12"-wide dolly section fits nicely between the tires and under the center section. At 18" long, it ends up with the front end just behind the scraper bar, supporting the impeller barrel.
That is some *excellent* information, thank you for that!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just visiting with new moving-in-today neighbors next door, we gave thanks to the fact that there's no snow at all on the ground here. It's headed towards a balmy 45ºF or so today I think. Maybe I'll go vacuum the cobwebs out of the impellers later. Last year at this time we were well on our way to a record snow year. This winter so far, nothing more than a few dustings that melted off in a day or three. As much as we all love to say how much we like playing with our snow toys, we are counting our blessings so far this season. We need the snow in the mountains for water next summer, and a chunk of the local economy depends on snow at our local ski areas and snow parks. But I'm very happy not having to shovel/plow/blow or drive in snow as we wind down the last day of 2017.

I --may-- put the cover back on the machine and put shovels away, just to see what happens. Not until a few days into the week though, after the neighbors are moved in.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Dr Bob and the other Husky fans: 1st of all I am enjoying the blog, a little story-tellin with the snowblowin. I am wondering what you see as the pros and cons of the Husky machines vs Airens and Toro? I am not looking to buy any in the near future, I still get by on fixing up inexpensive ones. But I never even looked at Husky until I saw some this season at my local shop (also has Toro). Just wondering what features, materials, etc you may favor on these. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My last snowblower was 40+ years ago, and let me say that there is no real comparison. Otherwise, I've used some others in the intervening years, but haven't owned/maintained one until this one. In a nutshell, I'm hardly in a position offer comparisons with other current models. I suspect that many owners are huge fans of the ones they own, fierce defenders of their brand of choice. Ford Vs. Chevy vs. Mopar? Sure -- The best one is the one you own. Especially if it starts on demand and gets the job done.

My purchase choice was opportunity-driven. A few years ago now, we had an inconvenient early-season dump of snow that diddled with some holiday travel plans. We were already disappointed with our little private community's habits, and the lack of snow clearing was rotten icing on a bad cake, so to speak. The local stores were pretty much sold out of decent machines, so I did what many do -- search-and-click, and in less than an hour the Husky was set up for delivery. As you can read from this blog and comments in the previous related thread, everything has been fine with it so far. Last year we had record snowfall, starting with a dump that received "extra attention" to help the HOA manager gain some perspective on "proper" snow removal. Where they had merely plowed a lane and a half, all the way down to a 4" crust; meanwhile, our street was cleared edge to edge, down to pavement. But it kept snowing heavily through the rest of the season, so we kept clearing it. Others in the area noticed, and soon we had a new snow clearing contract for this winter, and dumped the incompetent and fraud-prone HOA Management company.

Fast-forward to the current snow season. There isn't any. While the areas to the north and certainly the bunch of the country towards the east of us are digging out from massive snow dumps, it's cold but bare here. The machine is ready to go, serviced and polished, cleaned, fueled up, ready to go. Snow shovels are cleaned and waxed, but not yet used. Our local economy depends on winter sports activities like downhill and cross-country skiing, so not having snow is a little tough. Mt. Bachelor ski area nearby is reporting 40" of base, enough to ski on but not enough to brag about and draw in non-local enthusiasts. Freezing fog today has everything looking spectacular. But there's no snow yet.

Good news from that is no worries about driving and folks that can't but do anyway.

I spent the afternoon working on bird feeders for mrs dr bob, repairing damage done by hungry squirrels. The back yard is a minefield of mule deer droppings, as they like to graze on the exposed grass. She won't let me hunt in the driveway -- vegetarian.

Anyway, that's the news from mount woe-be-gone. Where all the snowblowers are above average.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As I see you all are from central oregon I thought I'd say hello. I live in sunriver. Let's hope we get some snow huh. At least up in the mountains

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We are a few miles north of you in SE Bend. No snow, 50º high today, sunny and clear after barely freezing overnight. We should get some mountain snow in a few days, but today is a great day to work outside on the house. As much as I'd like to have snow to play in, I'm also thankful we don't have to drive in it. Meanwhile, the mountain s reporting a base depth less than 20% of what we had last year at this time. I'm sure your Sunriver economy is suffering even more than the Bend area with the lack of winter tourist activity.

Let's see what the rest of the week brings. Shows rain for the most part, but there's always hope that temps will drop 10º from expected and it all goes white.

Meanwhile I have a diabolical plan to go pull up all my snow stakes, drain the fuel from the machine, add a thick coat of wax and put the cover back on it. Maybe wax the suspension in the car. That should pretty much guarantee a blizzard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Meanwhile I have a diabolical plan to go pull up all my snow stakes, drain the fuel from the machine, add a thick coat of wax and put the cover back on it. Maybe wax the suspension in the car. That should pretty much guarantee a blizzard.[/QUOTE]

dr bob, please keep that ST227P ready to rock. My golfing buddies appreciate the somewhat mild winter we are having here in central Oregon/Bend/Redmond area. This time last year, locally, a school roof collapsed and another was damaged because of the snow load and/age or design problems.

Several residents in our community bought snow blowers at the end of last season and in fall of this year (2017) in anticipation of another taste of last winter. I used mine once this season just to get a feel of how it worked clearing the driveway (great!).

So, keep your Husky ready to go and we can all look forward to an early spring. :smile2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lol. I bought a new blower this year so I feel I'm partially responsible for the mild winter we are having this year. Looks like some snow in the forecast for later this week. But ya been nice hanging out in the yard and Riding the Moto this late in the season

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The look-ahead for the rest of the week shows chance of a rain/snow mix late and into the weekend. It still takes an inch or two of accumulation to make it more than a push-and-scoop exercise with a shovel. Shovel is tanned, rested, waxed and ready. I left the gas in the machine and the snow stakes in the ground, and it looks like it won't take a full summer prep to get at least a little snow to play in.

Our little community golf course has trees dropped across several fairways, so no play available even if they were open. BGCC has mid-day times open, but I've been busy doing other things so the clubs are still in my locker.

Crossed fingers for some snow! Not much, just enough so we can say we had some.

*** I did clean and detail the car, including cleaning and sealing the suspension. Just in time for some rain and mix this week. That should be good for a at least few hours of flakes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hear you. If you could do the suspension sealing one more time that should guarantee a snow event. On the second hand, no don't. lol.

We got in our 18 here at Eagle Crest yesterday. Today, I have to go into Bend to do some home projects at our daughter's abode.

Yes, weekend looks iffy but who knows.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Redemption from our no-snow curse!

After a few stutter-steps in the [lack of] snow situation over the last week or two, this morning there was marginally "too much" to just push off with the broom. That's my story anyway. Maybe 3" of dry powder snow, temps in the low teens when I started so no risk of it turning to mush. Machine came out anyway. I managed to clear half a dozen driveways and the couple hundred feet of our private street, plus a thousand feet of neighborhood sidewalk.

As always, the machine performed flawlessly. One click from full choke, one click up from idle speed setting. Two primer pumps after turning the fuel on. Started easily on the first pull of the rope.

My driving technique wasn't as rusty as I thought it might be after almost a year of snowblowing withdrawal.. Focus now is on maintaining only the most delicate touch on the controls whenever possible. The exercise for this is to avoid closing my hands on the handlebars as much as possible. I still need to wrap the fingers around to use the trigger steering. Otherwise it should be pretty much left hand only, and that hand needs to be just holding the drive handle down. Right hand does the other adjusting for chute direction and throw, and that once-in-a-while when I'm forced to make a right turn instead of left. The strategy still needs some polishing but I'm getting there.

I still need to come up with a better skid-shoe solution. The ones I made are either wearing too fast or are just not staying in place even when tightened pretty snug with the clamp bolts. The bolts on the right side need to be replaced where I rubbed them up against the driveway retaining wall. I -may- move up a size so I can tighten them tighter, plus a plate to distribute the clamping force on the outside may be in order. I'll take some pics when I come up with a better solution than what I have now. There's always Armorskids if I don't find a good plastic solution on my own.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts