Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a late 70s ST270 932001 series. Recently, the motor froze up. The engine has a pulley on both the crank and the camshafts. Has anybody re-powered these units? I hate to give up on it, but...

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
You might be able to find a used Tecumseh with the 2-shaft outputs. Or if you can find a similar single-shaft Tecumseh, apparently you can swap over the camshaft and camshaft cover, to make he single-shaft into a 2-shaft.

Some people have apparently sometimes had success getting frozen engines to move again. It could be worth a shot, anyways, if replacing it was going to be difficult.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
my nephew had an ST270 that the motor blew on some years ago. I picked up a twin shaft 5hp motor for it but decided not to do the swap

·
Registered
669 Posts
I seem to recall quite a few 932001 or rough equivalents not being all that expensive used. A guy had one listed locally last month for $75 that looked like it'd never been used before except for the plastic wheel/tire combo were a bit worn down.

Just looking at the owner's manual and what models it covers (932001, '004, '006, '007), it looks like either of a used Tecumseh H35-45503M ('001's engine) or a Tecumseh H35-45515K (3.5 HP for the '004) should bolt right in if they were Ariens engines originally.

That's narrowing it down, but I'd bet they'd be the easiest to install too. ST350's are common and also are usually pretty inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
The easiest thing to do would be to search Craigs or Facebook for another twin drive engine.

I am curious when you say frozen. Did it just not pull over when you went to start it ? Have you tried to turn it backwards to see if it'll move that way a bit ??
Do you use the electric starter? Checked to make sure it's not jammed in the flywheel?
Checked that a drive or auger belt didn't release and is still tight on the crankshaft pulley?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have had 3 machines that were supposedly locked up and out of the 3 one actually was the engine, The other two had starter gear issues, One was the gear on the flywheel was snapped and bent up against the block and the other the starter motor gear was shattered and jammed up, Anyhow the first was just locked in the cylinder, I pulled the pull starter off and the plug out, Sprayed Kroil in the plug hole and a good amount of it too and let it sit for a while, Got a socket to fit the nut on the flywheel and a long breaker bar and moved it back and forth until I heard a small click and then it freed up, Left the plug out and used the electric starter to free spin it to blow out some of the oil and then put it back together, Took a little starting fluid to get it going but fired up and surprisingly did not foul the plug but did make LOTS of whitish blue smoke from the oil but once that cleared up, I changed the oil and ran it a few hours to make sure it was still running well and sold it, Still running today too as I know where it went.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts