Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I bought one of the $10 Chinese carburetors from a ebay vendor recommended here for the Tecumseh motor on my 924050, I need to tap the holes for the screws that hold the shroud over the carb, can someone tell me please what thread that is supposed to be?

TIA

K

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings,

I bought one of the $10 Chinese carburetors from a ebay vendor recommended here for the Tecumseh motor on my 924050, I need to tap the holes for the screws that hold the shroud over the carb, can someone tell me please what thread that is supposed to be?

TIA

K

How does it run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The Original Screws will Tap Themselves. Just Screw 'em in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, for the input. I think 10/32 ids probably right. If not, oh well, I'll get some screws to fit :)

K

·
Registered
70 Posts
10/32 a fit a Tecumseh LH318SA-156582H with carb # 640349 (9.25 hp). I just stripped the oem screws off the original carb.

Thread lock on oem carb screws makes it very difficult to get them off. I had to pry mine off with channel locks. Someone needs a beating for this design.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
10/32 a fit a Tecumseh LH318SA-156582H with carb # 640349 (9.25 hp). I just stripped the oem screws off the original carb.

Thread lock on oem carb screws makes it very difficult to get them off. I had to pry mine off with channel locks. Someone needs a beating for this design.

The design was made by people that manufacture Channel Locks, and the person got a big fat bonus ! LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, how does she run? I just ordered an ebay carb for a model 924082 and am curious to see how yours worked.
My apologies for my delay in reporting back, as a stay at home dad to a 4 year old my days are frequently occupied with her. Today my 34 year old diverted her attention long enough that I got to install the carb and run the machine.

Once installed it started on the second pull and has started on the first pull each time thereafter. The machine ran beautifully, without any adjustment to the new carb, although it might need just a slight adjustment to take care of an occasional backfire when reducing the engine speed or shutting it off.

I did though run into one small obstacle to getting it mounted in place.

The nuts which hold the carb on are of the kind with an integrated star lock washer. The prongs from the washer extend just a bit further than the edge of the nut; this caused a problem. A part of the casting on the carb wouldn't allow the nut to sit inline with the screw because of how the star washer rested up against it. On the original carb that area of the casting is present as well, however it is a bit more recessed so there is clearance for the star washer.

Making the screw hole slightly over-sized may well have allowed the clearance needed however my solution instead was to take a random orbital sander to one facet of the nut, sanding down the tangs from the star washer, and just a smidgen of the nut itself. This allowed the nut to then sit flush against the carb body and inline with the screw.

The photo's included below show the offending part of the casting and the nut sanded down.

The holes I had tapped for the bracket which mounts to the carb and in turn holds the heat box shroud in place are too large for the intended screws, but that wont be a problem, I just took the 2 screws which held the heat box to the bracket and relocated them to hold the bracket in place instead. I will get others of a similar size to hold the heat box on.

The link below is the vendor from whom I purchased the carb. I have had mixed results on my other machines with 'Chinese' carburetors from other vendors, some have worked fabulous and others just never did, so far I am pleased with this one. Time will tell. At only $10 a pop and free shipping I intend to get a couple more from here as spares in case I have a problem and need one to get the machine running in a hurry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-For-Tecumseh-TORO-ARIENS-MTD-SEARS-SNOWBLOWER-7HP-8HP-HM70-HM80/282481543417?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

K

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts