Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently replacing the bronze gear, the worm shaft looks good overall, do I really have to replace the worm shaft as well?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Some will say to replace both. I'd use the worm shaft ONLY IF it looks Good. If it's bad, You'll be replacing both again later. GL.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything wrong with the shaft that makes you ask ??
I have never replaced a worm shaft or bronze gear before, so when people say "does the worm shaft look good", I am not 100% sure what good entails.

I do not see any dents or missing pieces on the threading. Towards the ends the threading does look different. The middle threading is rounded but the threading towards either end is sort of concave. But that seems normal when I looked at new worm shafts on ebay.

When I look at the gear and the shaft it seems like the teeth only engage in the middle of the shaft, which looks fine.

I am leaning in this direction because removing the shaft from the impeller does not sound appealing. But if you are all telling me to just do it or I will regret it later then I will pay to get the shaft removed and buy a new one.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Looking good would be it's straight when measured against something you know to be straight or level and the surface is uniform and smooth with no apparent gouges, pitting or worn spots.

Jenkinsm2, Post up some pictures and let us "see" it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have a brand new shaft from a ST 824 that I never used. I can cut you a good deal if you are interested. However, I will be in FL for the next 2 weeks, so you will have to wait for it. Just let me know. BTW - shaft only, and I'll throw in my old brass gear that is all town up if you'd like ! I used the old shaft with the new gear, but I didn't get a lot od data on it because I sold it shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The black in-between the threads is old grease. You can also see how its concave on the tops closer to the thrust collar, but like I said I see that on new ones being sold on ebay.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Still not getting anything??

Should look something like this?;)
I replaced the grove pin last year was lucky it wasn't the gears!!
Go to "Manage attachments" down below

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Should look something like this?;)
I replaced the grove pin last year was lucky it wasn't the gears!!
Go to "Manage attachments" down below
Ok, I added them as attachments instead. As I stated before, there is still grease on it and the 2nd picture looks like its missing chunks from the threading but its not. its just grease on top of the threading.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
That gear looks fine to me!

Make sure before you reinstall it that you clean it *thoroughly* - there could be metal particles embedded in the grease that could cause the new gear to wear prematurely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That looks like a groove in the top of the first three coils from the left. You are saying that's grease?

Attached pic is a new one.
Yes, those are groves into the first three threads. That is what I meant by some threads being concave. On ebay when I type in these worm shafts I see ones with similar grooves in the threads.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts