Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an ariens st824 with the serial number starting 924. This past weekend I was blowing snow and the impeller works great but the rakes stopped rotating. The fella before me told me he replaced the sheer pins with regular bolts and I didn’t think anything of it at the time but I’m guessing my gear box is shot. I don’t know a lot about it or how to fix it. I had a trusted local small engine shop tell me it would cost me $375 for the gear box and another couple hours in labor. Apparently parts for the gear box on my model are no longer available, so I have to buy the whole new part. Does anyone have experience with this? $535 seems like too much to spend on this old of a machine. I’m worried I’d have it fixed and something else would go wrong with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input! I’m going to look at one tonight for $160. I’ll probably just end up keeping mine for parts like you mentioned. The one I have just runs so well.
This is probably going to show how little I know about this but on this model what do I do for maintenance on the gear box?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
run the proper shear bolts so you dont blow a gear box
if they dont leak you shoudnt have to do a thing make sure it has the right level in it before you buy it
prices seem high there dont buy a pos for 160 and regret it
post a link if you are green about them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I check it has the right level in it?
Also I guess I didn’t double check the sheet pins weren’t broke. The rakes seem to turn until I hit enough snow and then then stop. I’ll have to figure out where the sheer pins specifically are located.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
How do I check it has the right level in it?
Also I guess I didn’t double check the sheet pins weren’t broke. The rakes seem to turn until I hit enough snow and then then stop. I’ll have to figure out where the sheer pins specifically are located.
dude go watch some vids on youtube
the shear pins are on the rake shaft theres a plug on the gearbox download the manual for the 924
theres so much info out there on the net and youtube
should take about 3 hrs to be an expert on a 924 ariens
very simple machine

·
Registered
531 Posts
The shop was wrong, many simply dont want to do the work. The gear is available for your machine, depepnding on the extent of the damage you may also need to replace the impeller shaft, if your mechanically minded its a fairly simple and straightforward repair, if you decide to fix your unit I would reccomend that you replace the impeller bearing as well while everything is apart.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I’ve got an ariens st824 with the serial number starting 924. This past weekend I was blowing snow and the impeller works great but the rakes stopped rotating. The fella before me told me he replaced the sheer pins with regular bolts and I didn’t think anything of it at the time but I’m guessing my gear box is shot. I don’t know a lot about it or how to fix it. I had a trusted local small engine shop tell me it would cost me $375 for the gear box and another couple hours in labor. Apparently parts for the gear box on my model are no longer available, so I have to buy the whole new part. Does anyone have experience with this? $535 seems like too much to spend on this old of a machine. I’m worried I’d have it fixed and something else would go wrong with it.
My ST-824 did the same thing in 2017, here's what I did. I took the engine off of it and put it on a Murray 24" machine someone was getting rid of that had a blown engine. There are to many good machines very cheap to fix some of the really old stuff now. Both of those 10K series Ariens I own and if they had a failure like that would be scrapped unless you can find a donor machine for parts. Guy had a nice 824 for $40 recently with a popped engine but knowing that particular gear could fail again I passed on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I found a replacement for $160. It doesn’t run great but I figured I’ll try a few things and clean the carb. If that doesn’t work I will just swap out the front end with mine since mine still runs great. We did get 8 inches here today and the “new” one did get through everything. My driveway is roughly 100 feet long and 15 feet wide. The new blower runs ok under a load but it surges when idling. I’ve seen the spring on the governor can be loose causing that problem. So I’ll check that and clean the carb next. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.