Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use?

I have always been a fan of Stabil 360 and/or Seafoam.

I know non-ethanol is the way to go, but for those of us that are forced to use it, what would be your choice?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been using Stabil for 30+ years, been happy with that. Others prefer Seafoam. Either seems to work so get whatever is on sale that day.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Startron has gotten very positive feedback on other sites.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been using Ethanol Shield for about 6 years now with great success.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Usually Stabil Marine or 360. You want a product that is ethanol specific. The age of managing simple gasoline freshness are done for most of us.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I've been using Ethanol Shield for about 6 years now with great success.

Same here. I also use their, Mechanic In A Bottle (MIB), every so often to keep things cleaned out. I had a hard start condition with my van a few years ago and after some MIB its been good to go ever since, although I do run some MIB through it once in a while to keep it that way.

I used to use Seafoam prior but switched over to Ethanol Shield & MIB due to the alcohol in Seafoam that can dry out plastics & rubber.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
I like Stabil.

Most people think more is better so usually don't recommend Seafoam ( although very good ) cause people use too much and it can eat thru the plastic and rubber.

After I found E Free gas only 40 miles away I absolutely love it . I put some in a blower yesterday that was running crappy . You could actually listen to it smooth out after about 10 minutes. It now starts first pull every time.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've got a bunch of different products. They all seem to work. The Stabil Marine product is probably the best value if we're considering price/volume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the Stabil Marine 360 and I've had zero issues. I rebuilt the carb on my 18HP Briggs opposed cylinder Lawn tractor and when I took the bowl off it was perfect. The mower is 30 years old and I don't drain the gas out in the winter. However I do use stabilized fuel all the time in my small engine equipment. We live in Wisconsin where we've had the E10 for many years.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What do you guys use?

Nuthin... never used a fuel stabilizer, Seafroth etc in anything - just the gas. Worse, I have no good scientific/empirical/technical explanation for why I've never had any issues with the myriad small engines I've employed over the yrs. I just don't get it... :confused:

·
Registered
124 Posts
You get different answers because your success or lack of depends upon many variables. Such as: duration of storage; personal habits; storage environment; type of storage container (sealed container or fuel tank). And perhaps most important is the type of engine, its make, model and manufacturer. For example, certain small Honda engines use teeny tiny main jet that will clog with even the smallest amount of varnish and/or gum, stabilizer or not.
Gasolene starts to deteriorate immediately upon distillation but is generally accepted as "fresh" for three months. In the real world it *can* stay viable for a year, however the octane number will have substantially decreased; you wouldn't want to use this aged fuel in your high compression muscle car.
The thing to realize is the various 'stabilizers' are nothing more than a crutch. Increasing the ratio of stabilizer to gas may help but at some point you're turning a complex, understood combustible into something with unknown qualities.
Most importantly is the understand that stabilizers do nothing to improve octane deterioration. And this is where you have to be smart about the engines you're using - a chainsaw in minus temperature with low octane gas can live, the same saw in summertime with same year old gas is could be detonating, you just can't hear it.
My background for this discussion is 42 years doing specialized tech support throughout the US in telecommunications power realm (power production, power conditioning, power storage). I saw mostly poor results (from lazy field agents) using stabilizers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts