Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny how things develop. I'd answered a couple of CL ads a while back for a couple of potential parts machines. Well both responded, and I picked them up this last week. The 2 machines are Murray built Craftsmans, first is a 5 hp elec start 22" 2 stage while the other is a 7 hp 22" 2 stage. First one is a Techumseh transmission unit while the 2d is a friction wheel drive.

Now the fun begins (which doesn't include these 2). I have a Murray built Craftsman 10 hp 3 stage unit. I've been trying to decide what to do with it. I'd already gone through the drive portion and motor and had that running pretty good but hadn't touched the auger yet. It won't fit through the garage door and it's a little wide for my area, the kicker is I still have a 26" auger assembly from a parts machine I took some drive parts out of. I've decided to redo the blower to use the 26" assembly and keep it. in tearing it down I have some rust to get rid of and using 'Rust Bullit' to encapsulate it. I have to deal with the plastic bushings on the drive axel and auger shafts, both sets are broken or worn. I decided to replace them with ball bearings and have found some that will work. Already made a test run on some parts machine pieces and seems good. Couple of simple jigs and I can easily center them and change out the unit. I'm also going to try the KoolAid rust removal process and see how that works.

That's my project and plan. I'm hoping to have it done within a month or so. Hoping it will kick butt when I get done and with new bearings instead of plastic bushings, it should be good for a few more decades.

Wish me luck
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I did this summer

Here's the stable of things I've been working on this summer







Some got a complete teardown, most at least got the auger and housing derusted and repainted along with the impeller. All the Engines and , auger gearcases were gone through along with the drive transmissions or friction discs. Electric starters either checked out or added to all but one unit, drives gone through along withe checking or replacing chains. Auger shafts and drive axels were derusted along with painted with rust encapsulator paint then greased, some were updated to pneumatic tires, some upgraded to bearings from bushings. Missing skid plates were made, generally gone through and fixed up. Just a few minor things left so getting ready to sell them this fall.
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
3,149 Posts
Good looking fleet of machines there HCBPH.

I've always wondered, how do those metal wheels on the sides of the auger housings hold up, and work for following the contours of the drive? My little Honda only has the skids at the back of the housing, and every now and then, the front just sort of bangs into bumps and obstructions.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cutters

I've always wondered, how do those metal wheels on the sides of the auger housings hold up, and work for following the contours of the drive? My little Honda only has the skids at the back of the housing, and every now and then, the front just sort of bangs into bumps and obstructions.
Those wheels actually worked fairly well overall (on concrete, don't know how well they'd work on gravel), if you notice on the 4 & 5 HP ones, that's all that's on there while on the 7 & 10 hp ones there's both those along with skid plates at the back of the auger housing. They do roll so it's used partially for depth control along with cutting into packed snow so the scraper bar cuts cleaner. Biggest thing seems to be keeping them lubed so they roll rather than just scrape. I had a couple of them I pulled from parts machines and replaced on these because they had flat sided when they rusted up a little and wouldn't turn.

I've looked at some of the newer ones where they have a skid instead on them, I may end up modifying one to see which works better but for now it's just an extra expense so it will wait until the wallet and curiousity get the better of me.

May already have a buyer for 1 of the 4 I'm hoping to sell. If I can get what I'm hoping for, I'll have everything paid, a few bucks in my wallet and still have 2 snowblowers left (one for me and one for the kid). :D

Paul
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upcoming projects

Already have the start of a new project and possibly a second one. I picked up a 7 HP Tecumseh motor only the other day from a Toro Snowblower, seems in good shape and only missing the carb cover for bottom feeder $$. Then I was approached by a guy about maybe buying one of these and some $$ with his broken snowblower for tradein. 8 HP MTD with an electric starter that looks to be about 10 years old, the bottom of the auger housing is chewed up, looks like from the picture that the scraper bar was incorrectly assembled and it caught the auger at some time, shearing the shear pin. Don't know for sure on that one yet but it looks like it's repairable if I cut in some new metal on the bottom of the auger housing and made a new scraper bar. Big thing it looks like it would be time consuming to do so have to wait and see. I have not seen it yet in person and I think he was feeling out what it would cost him to fix or replace his. We'll see what happens.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top