Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum k74. It looks like this may be an old MTD Snowflite snow blower. The numbers stamped into the top of the recoil shroud near the spark plug will tell us what motor you have and what starter you need. The number may start with H50, Hsk50 or something similar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks, I'll check it out when I get home ThursdAy night and get back to you. Youre right it is a snowflite. The mtd guy figured it's a 72 model but he couldn't get me a starter.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It would also help if you could take a picture or two of your motor for us to see. If your motor has teeth around the flywheel edge, adding a starter will be a lot simpler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's got bolt holes for a starter and a ring gear. Can I get an AC starter or will. I have to usea battery?

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
It's got bolt holes for a starter and a ring gear. Can I get an AC starter or will. I have to usea battery?
I believe you can get the 110 v starter. Something like this one.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The model # I found is HM80
HM80 is an 8 horse power motor that uses Tecumseh part number 33329 with letters "a to f " for the starter.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
I have to say I always thought electric start was a waste of time but the older I get the more likely I am to dig out the extension cord on a really cold morning and hit the button instead of pulling it over by hand :eek:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used to go to Sears on Dec 26, as they had batteries on sale. There was a sale rack with starters for Sears products SBs etc. They were, ready for this, $ 4.00. Both 12, and120V. I foolishly only bought one 120 V unit. I put it on my 6 hp Sears blower. It was made for 8 hp and up, but all I had to shim it out with two washers on each mounting bolt, and it has been working fine for over 15 years. The '66 Sears came with a ring gear, so it was just a matter of time before I got one.
Sid

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I used to go to Sears on Dec 26, as they had batteries on sale. There was a sale rack with starters for Sears products SBs etc. They were, ready for this, $ 4.00. Both 12, and120V. I foolishly only bought one 120 V unit. I put it on my 6 hp Sears blower. It was made for 8 hp and up, but all I had to shim it out with two washers on each mounting bolt, and it has been working fine for over 15 years. The '66 Sears came with a ring gear, so it was just a matter of time before I got one.
Sid
$4.00 for your choice of starters.... Wow. Should have bought a couple dozen.:)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I think we all have those "looking back, I should of....." stories.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I think we all have those "looking back, I should of....." stories.
Yeh. I should have bought a truck load of 12/2 copper wire when it was $22.00 for a 250' spool. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts