Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, as shown in PIC# IMG 4287 enclosed the ground pin broke off.
I was wondering if if it would be possible to replace the male plug from the starter switch or do I have to replace the whole starter assembly?
Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
865 Posts
I've never had cause to take one apart so that's where I'd start. One would think it would be possible but I don't know if you can just substitute a plug from an ordinary extension cord or you have to buy the whole starter assembly. At this point you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and having a look.

· Registered
4,772 Posts
At this point you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and having a look.
i don't know about that. at this point the electric start still likely functions. the ground is just there for safety. if he takes it apart and can't fix it and can't get it back together then it has no electric start at all.

no good way to repair them that i know of. you could possibly cut the wires inside the box and splice on a plug with a short cord but this would be a bit ugly and not as well protected and maybe not as safe. not sure how well aftermarket plugs do outside and it would suck to cut the end off an extension cord just to get a seal plug.

· Registered
865 Posts
i don't know about that. at this point the electric start still likely functions. the ground is just there for safety. if he takes it apart and can't fix it and can't get it back together then it has no electric start at all.
You're right, there is that but I assumed (there's that word again!) that he'd be non-destructive in taking it apart. But yeah, if he has to break things then he may have to get a new starter and they are pricey, even used. But electricity and water don't play nice together so I'd be wary of using it ungrounded.

· Premium Member
8,206 Posts
If he is in a garage or shed, those outlets should be ground fault protected by code ... at least in this area.

· Registered
4,772 Posts
and they are pricey, even used.
depends what you consider pricey. around here it seems like the going price on a used electric start is about $50-60. new ya the price is completely ridiculous.

i don't think i have ever pulled apart the switch box on one of these but done many Tecumseh. i think most of the older Tecumseh switch boxes may have been designed to pop apart where i think the newer ones were not and glued together and can be tricky to open up. they will open up if you pry just right but sometimes it almost feels like it will break before they let go and open up.

· Registered
586 Posts
I doubt that the plug itself is replaceable - the Toro one I dug into had an oem molded part that was not available as a separate part. I'd never suggest playing with electricity outdoors or around water/snow without a gfi. However, depending on code enforcement, older houses/garages probably have ungrounded receptacles and no gfi devices at all. If this is what you have, be very careful, and I'd recommend having a properly grounded gfic receptacle installed.

· Registered
799 Posts
what about one of these adapters. You would need to cover it because prongs would be protruding
Automotive tire Camera accessory Audio equipment Font Auto part
Just push it in over the broken one. Done!

Reactions: Grunt

· Registered
4,772 Posts
oem molded part that was not available as a separate part.
you are right that they don't sell them but i think it could be done if they find a starter to use as parts. i think the plug out of Tecumseh electric start may also even work but like i said i haven't opened up a briggs starter box. just going off pictures but the parts looks the same.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

Finger Cable Gesture Gas Thumb

· Registered
586 Posts
what about one of these adapters. You would need to cover it because prongs would be protruding View attachment 207704 Just push it in over the broken one. Done!
That does not solve the grounding issue. Grounding an appliance is a safety feature for when things go wrong. It can save your life. I'm not making any judgements here, and we all decide on our tolerable level of risk. From my personal pov, certain behaviors with a low risk but catastrophic consequences are as undesirable as high risk moderate consequences. YMMV.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
FWIW I have been using a broken switch like this for years....but i have always lived on the edge....

the edge......check out final page of Hunter S Thompson's book "Hell's Angels"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts