Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tecumseh rope is a bit frayed, so it's on my list for replacement. When I looked on Amazon for starter rope, I often saw comments like: "this isn't the same quality as the original", or "it broke after two months". They sell a heavy duty starter rope [expensive], but it is 7/32" when the original version is 5/32". I rather pay more for something that will last. Will the difference in diameter cause any problems?
Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Gas-Technologies-Inc-FT-SR-3001/dp/B00E5P1ZPA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1425987468&sr=8-13&keywords=starter+pull+rope

·
Retired Moderator
3,147 Posts
I suppose it might be possible to get rope that would be too thick to fit through the hole in the recoil starter shroud, or get enough rope wrapped around to get a long enough pull.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I tried using thicker than standard rope and found the usable length is too short. Winding on more rope is prevented by the rope filling the pulley and rubbing on the housing. Your dealer probably has the best rope in the correct size that is braided and impregnated.

The starter on my 2004 Craftsman with Tecumseh 11 hp is not designed to have the rope replaced, just the entire housing replaced. I had to cut a small half moon out of the pulley to preload the spring. EDIT: and make the retaining hole in the center of the pulley a little larger and radius it a bit.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
My Tecumseh rope is a bit frayed, so it's on my list for replacement. When I looked on Amazon for starter rope, I often saw comments like: "this isn't the same quality as the original", or "it broke after two months". They sell a heavy duty starter rope [expensive], but it is 7/32" when the original version is 5/32". I rather pay more for something that will last. Will the difference in diameter cause any problems?
Thanks
Amazon.com: Exhaust Gas Technologies Inc. FT-SR-3001 Fantom Recoil Rope 84 Inches: Automotive
Just take a trip down to your local S.E.R.shop and buy a few feet of the good suff. Local businesses need our support. Matter fo fact I believe I'll add that to my sig.o

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a spool of the Briggs & Stratton (red and black cord size 4½) from amazon: a 200' spool was just over 25 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-790966-200-foot-Starter/dp/B003RWT2ES/ref=sr_1_cc_6?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1425993430&sr=1-6-catcorr&keywords=briggs+and+stratton+recoil+rope

This is what my local dealer/repair shop sells also.

It has a core besides the braid to make it stronger than plain braid. I have re spooled up to 10 HP snow blower engines so far with it and it has not had any issues yet.

You could always buy the Size 5½ 200' spool, it would still only set you back about 28 bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
I bought a spool of the Briggs & Stratton (red and black cord size 4½) from amazon: a 200' spool was just over 25 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt...corr&keywords=briggs+and+stratton+recoil+rope

This is what my local dealer/repair shop sells also. It has a core besides the braid to make it stronger than plain braid. I have re spooled up to 10 HP engines so far with it and it has not had any issues yet.
Something I noticed while watching doneyboy73 videos was the number of starter rope spools he has on hand. It appears he has at least a half dozen different spools, maybe even more than that. Different sizes.
I have a Kohler 16 H.P. engine sitting in my shop. I had it bolted down and used a piece of starter rope from a Tec. 8 H.P. engine to start it. It is the old style wrap the rope with a knot in the end. I got that engine just a shade past T.D.C. and gave a good tug. That dang rope snapped just a little out from my hand, snapped back and I got two nice blood welts. Boy did that hurt!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just take a trip down to your local S.E.R.shop and buy a few feet of the good suff. Local businesses need our support. Matter fo fact I believe I'll add that to my sig.o
+1 .. you can see and touch the quality.. as far as buying 200' worth, will anyone ever need that much rope?

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Depending on what it costs on Amazon or Ebay might be able to sell it off at a little over cost + postage to other folks in need of 4-6' chunk :confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts

Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton 790966 200-foot Spool of Nylon Starter Rope, Size 4 1/2 : Pull String Mower : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is what my local dealer/repair shop sells also.

It has a core besides the braid to make it stronger than plain braid. I have re spooled up to 10 HP snow blower engines so far with it and it has not had any issues yet.

You could always buy the Size 5½ 200' spool, it would still only set you back about 28 bucks.
Perhaps you should offer to sell OP 6' of your rope.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I use "550" para cord where I can. You will lift the machine off the ground before you break it, or you will rip the recoil mechanism off. On or the other.

It's a little thicker than the OEM, and you can find it in a variety of lengths and colors, and the stuff is just handy to have.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
+1 .. you can see and touch the quality.. as far as buying 200' worth, will anyone ever need that much rope?
I use the same rope on mowers that I use on blowers. I repair them as a side job and go through at least one spool a year.

I'm running into more of those recoil units that aren't made to be serviced. I simply get a long drill bit and drill a hole in the spool where the original cord was stapled, after I remove the staple.

Never buy thicker cord, I have long arms and it hurts when you have a short cord. Thin cord allows you to put much more on the spool.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point stanz. I have long arms too. I ordered the cord in post 9 because it is 5/32, the same as my old cord & has a lifetime guarantee. I read the reviews on Paracord. Seems like most people use it for craft projects like lanyards. Must be good stuff to hold up as a starter cord.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have seen started pull ropes with the handles on them in the maint. section for small engine at home depot for about 4 bucks. I noticed them whan I was picking up a length of fuel line. Gotta look for them , it's not very well organized but they were there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.