Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the 524 SWE 24.

I'm unable to start the engine. Throttle set to fast. Choke engaged. Primed the engine. Unit shipped with oil, came fully assembled, added gas. I tried both manual start and electric start.

I feel like there's an obvious step I'm missing. Any suggestions for a beginner?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Just purchased the 524 SWE 24.

I'm unable to start the engine. Throttle set to fast. Choke engaged. Primed the engine. Unit shipped with oil, came fully assembled, added gas. I tried both manual start and electric start.

I feel like there's an obvious step I'm missing. Any suggestions for a beginner?
Is the key in the interlock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the key in the interlock?
Thanks for replying. Yes, I have the key inserted as far as it will go.

One other piece of info that may or may not be relevant, this was the last unit in stock, and was on display. Is there anything that would typically be done to a display model to prevent it from starting? They had it outside in front of the store and brought it in when I claimed my online order.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for replying. Yes, I have the key inserted as far as it will go.

One other piece of info that may or may not be relevant, this was the last unit in stock, and was on display. Is there anything that would typically be done to a display model to prevent it from starting? They had it outside in front of the store and brought it in when I claimed my online order.

Check the spark plug cap is on. You might want to remove the plug and confirm you have spark. Also check if there is a second ON/OFF rocker switch on the engine.

Does the key on yours just need to be inserted (plastic key) or does it have to be turned 90 degrees

I assume that you made sure that the fuel shutoff valve is open.
Can you hear fuel bubbling when you prime the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I had someone more mechanically inclined than myself give it a shot. The instructions call for 3-5 presses of the primer held for 1 second each, he pressed it 15-20 times rapid fire and it started up. Thank you to those who responded.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So I had someone more mechanically inclined than myself give it a shot. The instructions call for 3-5 presses of the primer held for 1 second each, he pressed it 15-20 times rapid fire and it started up. Thank you to those who responded.
You might want to take a look at the primer bulb and hose, make sure theres no cracks in the bulb and the hose is on tight both ends, no cracks or kinks or pinches. Shouldn't take that many primes to get it going.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah mine only takes 3 primes and starts right up with the first pull. 15-20 primes would flood mine. Sounds like something isn't right there.
Best have it checked out

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have the same model, and 3 pumps of the primer, throttle set to just above "Stop", the choke set to 3/4 or full, and 1-2 pulls of the starter cord is all it takes to light it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts