Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the output of the stator on a 928 OHXE (38801). Im looking into doing the led headlight and just curious on what my boundaries are. I have 2 18w lights. I tried calling Toro but all they keep saying is that it could void warranty and its not recommended as its never been tested , yada yada yada!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
maybe you could do some research on the engine to find out the output of the stator

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
any numbers on the motor

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
For Toro parts you need to have the model and serial number or at least the first four or five digits of the serial number to ID it properly. That's the snowblower itself.

https://www.torodealer.com/en-US/Pages/partslookup.aspx
https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pages/PartsLookupResults.aspx?searchTerm=38801&BasicSearchFilter=equipment

The engine has it's own numbers and the photo I posted shows where those numbers should be. I'm trying to be helpful.

928 OHXE only means it's likely red, the auger is 28" wide and it has a 9 horse engine.
That's fine if you're trying to buy the whole unit off the showroom floor but it's not worth much when you start talking about a specific part that will fit your machine.

That's why two people are asking you for more numbers. We need them to help you.

I'm guessing your Toro engine part number is 120-4423 and there is also an engine number like "LC175FDS-1".

Are those correct ??

If so you might have to give the Toro dealer or Toro 1-800 customer service a call as I can't find anything on it but then again there are some pretty sharp tools in this shed if you can confirm the engine numbers.

Most people aren't going to bother to look up pages of info if you're not willing to find the numbers they need. That's just the way it is. :blush::blush:

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you have a multimeter you can measure the max output of the stator at full throttle.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I tried calling toro. They couldnt even tell me the specs
That's the stuff that drives me crazy. You go through the trouble of calling them and you can't get an answer. How can they not know, they chose that engine and someone had to be sure it'd power the LED and or hand warmers.

Let me see what more I might be able to find.

When you get a chance can you see if those are the correct numbers for your engine ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine model# 120-0138. There is also another # 11404031-1. Its also a 2014 (my mistake) Only other number is the S/N. Its the 265cc toro engine. Not a B&S

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I know you deleted it but the idea of the DVOM is to put it in series with something that uses power like an incandescent light bulb or two (three) and see what amperage you get in the circuit.

It might come down to that. :facepalm_zpsdj194qh:facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I agree that a multimeter would be the best way to find out.
This would be a Loncin engine. Alternator may be one of these but I don't see a output rating on the many sites I see that sell this alternator. It doesn't look very big so I don't know if it can handle two 18 watt lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last winter i was running a 37.5w halogen with no issues. I just want to have all my ducks in line before wiring everything up. I do know it is an 8 post stator. I just dont know how many posts are wrapped

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Last winter i was running a 37.5w halogen with no issues. I just want to have all my ducks in line before wiring everything up. I do know it is an 8 post stator. I just dont know how many posts are wrapped
From your observation you have access to at least 38 watts which you could break down as : 1 set handwarmer with 20 watts draw total
1 LED 18 watts therefore 6 led @ 3 watts each.
Or: 2 Led @ 18 watts ea.

I don't know if that is any interest to you but this could be a way to look at it with what you have. Did this blower with the same engine came with hand warmers as an option plus the halogen light? Maybe ask your dealer.
Lastly check how much light comes from a 18watts Led you might be surprised.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Kiss4aFrog: Your advice is golden!!! IMHO doing the experiment to see what the stator is actually putting out is the only frickin' thing that is true. That is real. That counts.

So how to test? Is the concept that the load must exceed the stator's maximum output to accurately measure the stator?

Should I use an old 4-bulb bathroom light bar with 100 watt bulbs in it? Is there something else I could use for a load? Would you mind looking at the ebay shunt below.

I need to do this output test for additional bilge pumps on four jet skis, and for additional or different lighting and accessories on a garden tractor, a riding mower, a Honda powered Kimpex ATV snowblower, and an Ariens ST1032 snowblower.

When you and the other electrical wizards on this forum get time, can you tell us what you think about those combo volt meter/ amp meter LED digital gauges on ebay? I would actually like to install them on the jet skis. And on the garden tractor and riding mower (they are both Craftsman and already come stock with a needle gauge amp meter).

DC 4 5 30V 0 50A Digital LED Display Voltmeter Ammeter Meter Current Shunt | eBay

DC6 5 100V 0 20A Digital LCD Combo Panel Meter Volt Amp Power Module Watt Meter | eBay

Thank you for your post,
E350

I know you deleted it but the idea of the DVOM is to put it in series with something that uses power like an incandescent light bulb or two (three) and see what amperage you get in the circuit.

It might come down to that. :facepalm_zpsdj194qh:facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
You'd want to increase the load until you pulled the voltage down below what your load needs to run properly.

I was thinking of going to Radio Shack (may they rest in peace) and getting some resistors to build a load bank with an amp and volt meter. Likely use 13.5V and then have a resistor for 1 amp, 2 amp, 3 amp, ...

I'd use 13.5 volts because that would work for riding mowers too.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
See that's where you lose me. When you talk about basic electrical stuff that probably everybody but me knows about. Remember, you are talking to a box of rocks for a brain here, with a few random bright pebbles, but really just a box of rocks... But the upside is that I can copy what you do, when you do it, if and when you post it.

[OT, I do have some knowledge on another electrical matter to contribute to the forum which I will start a thread on later tonight.]

You'd want to increase the load until you pulled the voltage down below what your load needs to run properly.

I was thinking of going to Radio Shack (may they rest in peace) and getting some resistors to build a load bank with an amp and volt meter. Likely use 13.5V and then have a resistor for 1 amp, 2 amp, 3 amp, ...

I'd use 13.5 volts because that would work for riding mowers too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I am told. This engine is only offered in the HD model line, and it comes from factory with the headlight and hand warmers. Also I ran a 37.5 watt bulb with hand warmers all last winter without issue.

I temporarily connected one of my lights last night it it is extremly bright (no difference than when I had them on my truck) but what surprised me is that there wasn't any light flicker!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts