Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A locally owned snow removal business is selling their old used up snowblowers to the general public.

At about 50% the going rate. Yes, they will sell but still way OVERPRICED!!!

These are basically PARTS MACHINES.

Think about it. Would a company sell snowblowers that still had some use left in them? They are constantly breaking down and need just about EVERYTHING to work. Parts/repairs/service would cost the new owner a fortune!

Yet , I posted this locally to my group and I'm sure people will jump on these bargains......and then wanna bring them to me to repair/service and i will say no.

I have repaired/serviced many commercial machines and will not do it anymore. They just need TOO MUCH WORK. I would rather help the average Joe/Jane with their residential machines.

Commercial machines are used 10 times at least more than normal.
Operators do not give a heck for these machines and beat the heck out of them.
Their shops are overwhelmed with work and can not properly maintain these machines.
Companies only sell these when they have outlived their usefullness.
They are nothing but TROUBLE.

There are exceptions if you are an owner/operator. But still after several years you are upgrading to new machines and I doubt in fair conscience you would sell for the average price of a used residential machine.

I have bought many commercial machines for PARTS ONLY. About one TENTH of this companies asking price on Craigslist.

So beware of commercial machines unless you are very mechanical and don't mind working on them all the time.

· Premium Member
924 Posts
Apologies if I've posted this before but I got a dump-find lawnmower once from a friend that I bet was used commercially. It was self-propelled, with drive axles going to each rear wheel, that were carried in ball bearings near the wheel. It appears one of the bearings failed and they continued using it until the dead bearing completely chewed through the axle, severing it!

A couple of ball bearings, some threaded rod, and two new wheels later I have a nice no-longer-self-propelled Honda mower.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I happen upon a commercial machine that has a good bucket and augers ( rare as bigfoot , but it does happen ) I will consider it a rebuilding project. This of course if the engine is strong.

This usually means many good used parts like tracks, bearings, new side cover bearings, rebuilding the right side transmission , and of course new belts and probably new cables. Welding handlebar supports in but usually that has been done.

I did get a 928K1 once for 200 and practically the only thing wrong other than needing a general service was the seal was pushed out of the hydro and all the oil leaked out. The owner thought the tranny was bad and didnt wanna deal with it.

That was what you call a "unicorn".

· Registered
669 Posts
Same for used vehicles that are lease turn in's or former rental units. Abused and neglected. Most folks don't take care of stuff they own, worse when they don't own it.
I've had lease turn in's that never had the oil changed in 30,000 miles. Funny that the first oil change is free, I guess they can't be bothered. Now it's out front on used car row with a "certified" good report .

· Premium Member
587 Posts
Same for used vehicles that are lease turn in's or former rental units. Abused and neglected. Most folks don't take care of stuff they own, worse when they don't own it.
I've had lease turn in's that never had the oil changed in 30,000 miles. Funny that the first oil change is free, I guess they can't be bothered. Now it's out front on used car row with a "certified" good report .

Cars are different than snowblowers and lawnmowers. Many people prefer not owning and choose rentals. Things to be warned of for sure include mileage. I purchased a 2015 Kia Cadenza with 15K miles about 4 years ago and it still runs like new. I later purchased a second car, this time a 2016 Kia Optima with only 6K miles on the odometer. Both cars were checked and found free of prior accidents I lost the Optima when an ahole ran a red light and totaled it, Both cars were from a local Kia dealer, I will never ever purchase a new car.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
I agree, I found a 2017 Volvo V60 wagon ( a demonstrator) with 9K miles/14.5K km for 40% off at the dealership. It's been a great car with no problems at all now at 36K miles/60K km. It was interesting when I brought it back to the dealership for its 10K oil change. They documented every bang, dent and little scratch on it that I hadn't noticed! It makes sense to buy a used low-mileage car.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
I used to haul BMW's & Mercedes lease returns out of Alabama, to Manheim, Pa for auction.
Some only had 10,000 miles or less on them and looked like new. I don't know how much they sold for, I just dropped them off and go get my next load.
The lease returns was a return load for me after dropping off new vehicles down south to get me back up near home.
Others you could see were not taken care off as the interiors were a mess. Cigar smell, makeup, upholstery stained and dirty, dash and windows filthy, Etc.
But a lot looked like new. Low miles.

Never hauled snow blowers to the auctions. :)

Anything that was used commercially I would be wary of.
Though there are some good deals if you can inspect first.

· Registered
328 Posts
I don't lease. But nearly all the lady friends I've known over the years have.

One poor lass was fretting up a storm `cause the tires were bald, it had a loud exhaust leak, and a couple of years prior, it had fallen off my jack as I was repairing something... The jack punched up the spare tire well cubbyhole.

I beat the spare tire well back down into shape with a sledgehammer and a section of 4x4 lumber as the ram. The ripped out spot welds were treated/sealed with RTV.

For $40 on the bad part of town I loaded up on a set of barely-legal tread depth tires. How did I pick the particular used tire vendor? At twelve noon in bright sunlight, a guy was taking a wizz in the parking lot. "That's my used tire dealer!"

The exhaust leak was at one of the 90° bends going up and over the rear axle. I wrapped the leak with plasticized muffler repair tape and covered that with split-open flexible exhaust pipe stock. A half dozen hose clamps held everything together.

Our poor young lady was terrified leading up to the turn-in inspection. I had to tell her multiple times, "Just be calm... They won't even notice!"

Needless to say, for a few days afterwards of the successful turn-in, I was Da Man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts