Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a moderately steep driveway. I recently purchased an Ariens 24 Classic which does fine on the flat and downhill but won't move an inch up the driveway. I lowered the skids as low as they go (raise the lip of the blower) to make sure I'm not catching and still no luck. It seems there simply isn't enough torque to the wheels. They'll spin if I lift off the ground but no movement when touching the driveway.

Are there other adjustments I should look into or is this simply an issue of wrong tool for the job? I've seen tracked snowblowers recommended for hills. Could this problem also be solved by a larger engine with more torque?

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
4,183 Posts
You should be able to put it up against a curb and have it spin the tires. Sounds like the friction wheel is worn out, adjusted too loose or contaminated with oil.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You didn't mention if you purchased the machine new or used, but could also be a worn drive belt or insufficient tension on the drive engagement cable. I would troubleshoot in this order: 1) Adjust drive cable per factory specs. 2) Inspect drive belt for excessive wear causing slippage when negotiating an incline. Replace belt if worn, checking, dry rotted, or overstretched. 3) Inspect the friction wheel for excessive play or surface contamination (typically oily residue).

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Honda tracked snow blower was my solution.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good suggestions above. If you have traction issue (tires spinning) after following the suggestions, try a set of tire chains. You may find in many conditions you do not need them but when you do you will appreciate having them. I know some on here will say not needed or not necessary just get more aggressive tires. Or Go to the tracked machine if the hill is an issue. In my experience chains have made my life much easier, and I do not deal with hills. As E350 suggests a tracked machine would be the ultimate in traction. There are pros and cons to everything. You just bought a machine and I doubt you want to replace it now. Take it in stages. Good luck.

Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Retired Moderator
10,372 Posts
Welcome to SBF 2Bones

You should be able to put it up against a curb and have it spin the tires. Sounds like the friction wheel is worn out, adjusted too loose or contaminated with oil.
What he said. If you put the machine up against something solid and engage the wheel drive the wheels should skip on concrete or start to dig a hole if on something softer like sod, sand, ...
You have a drive issue between the engine and the wheels. A worn out belt, contaminated drive disc, worn out friction disc (they're different), misadjusted drive cable that isn't pulling the friction disc against the drive disc.
I'd start with adjusting the drive cable according to the manual. Then pull the belt cover and inspect the belt for condition and tension. Finally make sure you're low on fuel and tip the machine up in the service position and pull the cover to take a look at the friction disc and drive disc.
If you don't have the manual it should be available online at Ariens - - > Operator's Manuals - Ariens

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
@tabora that is a beautiful drawing and calculations. If you drew it, how did you draw it?

My experience with my wheeled Ariens ST1032 was that it wouldn't go up the driveway at the steeper parts even with brand new Snowhog tires and then later even with V-bar chains. Even with a brand new friction disk.

One would think that having more weight on a smaller contact patch of the tire would actually provide greater traction than spreading the machine's weight over the greater contact patch of the tracks (like narrow auto tires are better than wider tires on ice), but that was not my experience.

Additionally, having the ability to adjust and set the auger bucket higher so as to reduce forward travel resistance while blowing uphill can sometimes be helpful when blowing up a steeper driveway. Adjusting and setting the auger bucket higher can only be done with a tracked machine, not a wheeled machine.

I am pretty sure that you have a tracked Honda HSS1332AT or ATD. Have you had a similar experience with your tracked Honda?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The OP states that his wheels aren't moving. That does not indicate a traction problem. As others have stated it's an adjustment or wear issue with the belt or disc. Perhaps he could also benefit from tracks, but first things first.

·
Registered
931 Posts
2Bones: How did you make out with the suggested items to check? Let us know.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
To put it plainly in my opinion:

I used to do driveways in my area with snowblowers for money ... I have used many different brands over the years ... I still own multiple brands and styles of blowers ... I have never had a snow blower with the proper, good condition, XTrac or Snow-Hog tire, and operated in the proper gear and manner, ever spin on any driveway, including inclines.

This has been my experience in all my years of snow blowing, with different machines.

I am sure their might be people out there, for whatever reason, that might not have good luck with operating their snow blowers.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
@tabora that is a beautiful drawing and calculations. If you drew it, how did you draw it?
No, that is from a study of wheels vs tracks used in timber harvesting (the reference is to Mellgren, P.G. (1980). Terrain Classification for Canadian Forestry. Canadian Pulp and Paper Association. I ran across it about 1986 while researching tracked snow blowers and ended up buying a Honda HS80K1TAS in 1987. The wheels vs tracks question came up again a few years ago and when I checked I discovered that the 1980 study was published online as support for a study in Croatia : https://www.researchgate.net/public...cient_Timber_Forwarding_on_Lowland_Soft_Soils
I am pretty sure that you have a tracked Honda HSS1332AT or ATD. Have you had a similar experience with your tracked Honda?
I do and I have had... Love the HSS1332AATD!

Reactions: E350
1 - 14 of 14 Posts