Snowblower Forum banner

Steering Cable Honda HSS1332A

14K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  orangputeh 
#1 ·
I've recently acquired a Honda HSS1332A snow blower and promptly backed it into a wall and broke a steering lever. I got a replacement part and thought (since I've worked on my motorbikes for years) that I could simply replace the handle/perch assembly (it comes as a unit) and be back in business in no time....well, not so fast as it seems. I've not been able to see how to disassemble the cable from the perch and have taken my time because the entire assembly is made of plastic and I don't want to put too much pressure on the cable/perch end and make matters worse. I've checked the owners and shop manuals without any luck. Anybody have a clue how to do this....?

Edit.. after looking at the way the cable attaches to the machine housing, I'm now thinking I need to take the cable loose there releasing the tension so I can remove the other end from the broken lever at the perch...this making more sense?

See less See more
#3 ·
If you look inside the hole, do you see any clues as to how the cable attaches to the handle assembly?
Yes, it's a typical baton end that one commonly sees with cables. The problem is that it's not possible to release the cable tension at the perch to remove the baton OR, at least, I've not been able to figure out how to without breaking the hub pictured above.

That's why I now suspect that I need to take the cable loose from the other end to relieve the tension.....but just not sure.

I love Honda, but at least in my frame of reference this is strange.

#4 ·

Edit.. after looking at the way the cable attaches to the machine housing, I'm now thinking I need to take the cable loose there releasing the tension so I can remove the other end from the broken lever at the perch...this making more sense?

I had a good discussion of this with our tech guy who's in the process of finalizing the shop manual. He's getting me some images/CAD art that will explain the details

The short version is to loosen the two lock nuts where the cable passes through the frame; there's a slot in the frame for the narrow, inner part of the cable to drop down, which will then allow enough slack in the outer jacket to let you disconnect the crimped ball at the lever end of the cable.

Stand by, hope to have the images in a couple of hours.

Reactions: bwdbrn1
#5 ·
THANK YOU Robert! I was kinda on that track, but greatly appreciate the help! Any chance I can get a hold of that Shop manual when it's finished? I don't live exactly at the end of the road in Northern New Mexico, but I can see it from here; there's no authorized Honda Snow Blower repair place near me.

#8 ·
Quick update: thanks to Robert (robert@Honda), I got the information I needed and was able to fix the broken lever by removing the old perch/lever combination and releasing the cable tension (thanks Robert) so I could exchange with a new perch/lever. All's good again and she's work'n like a champ! This is the first time I've used this forum and I'm impressed, thanks!

#11 ·
this procedure with pictures should be posted here somewhere. the dealer told me today that this is a common problem.

the part ( steering handle ) is only $9.95 but looks complicated to replace.

#16 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I was searching under the HS1332 and not the HSS1332. I found the part and ordered it. It now looks like the entire assembly may come with it as there were multiple parts for the handle assembly all grouped together on the parts diagram. Each individual part along with the entire grouping all showed a new part number that replaced all of the parts individually as well as the group (all the same #). I hope that makes sense. My next question is whether or not the Honda Manual on the Amazon site (which is where the Honda page directed me) includes the procedure on how to swap the handle out.

The fact that the previous HS1332 handle is discontinued worries me that maybe this handle will be discontinued as well. I ordered two as I'm sure this will happen again.

Any help on the manual details would help.

Thanks!

#18 ·
the new manual has a couple pages devoted to this. there are a couple other threads on this topic here if you use the search section in the honda forums.

also, did you just break the handle? if so you do not have to replace the whole thing. i changed just the handle part in about 20 minutes since i did not have to disconnect the cable at the handlebar end. the procedure is explained in the other thread or in the manual.

basically all you have to do is go underneath and loosen the lock nut where the cable is attached to the chassis so you have some free play at the top. then you just have to unsnap the broken handle out and snap the new handle in.

for me, being an amateur, it was fairly easy. i'll try to find the title of that thread and report back.

Reactions: jrom
#20 ·
Thanks for all the help! I ended up ordering the service manual from Honda's Amazon page. I'll also poke around to see what info I can gather. The blower is up at the family cabin in the U.P. of Michigan right now and I'm in Chicago. I'll be back up in a couple weeks with parts in hand (hopefully) and will complete the fix.

Also, as a side note this blower is an absolute monster! I was going through snow that was even with the top of the bucket and sometimes over that hasn't been touched all season. The Honda chugged along at a slow creep without any issue and took the surface down to bare ground. Awesome!!

#26 ·
Another case where the Honda engineers make something where you need a "special" tool for a simple job. It may be possible to use a small screwdriver to push in tabs to release the end part that goes into main body of lever.

But like I mentioned in a previous post this may not be necessary if you only need to replace the lever only. Just remove the remnants of the broken lever and just plug in new lever after releasing the cable tension so you can install the cable end into the new lever and lock into place.

If you put machine in service position on nose ( the Honda shop manual does not mention this. ) It is much easier to do this procedure.

There is a video on you-tube on doing this but it is horrible. I may have to start making videos . I learn much easier from videos than reading instructions in a shop manual.

Reactions: Tony-chicago
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.