Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a newer 2 stage snowblower that would be used by myself and my wife. As much as I love my toro 521 its finicky and she doesn’t want to deal with it. It’s a bear to move. The wheels were all but rust welded to the axels when I got it years ago. We live in a region (Western New York) that gets lots of snow.

What are your impressions of the auto steer and trigger steer snowblowers on the market? Are these usable? Will they hold up? Realistically I realize snowblowers made today will not hold up as long as ones generations ago.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i am not a huge fan of trigger steering. it does work and maybe it is something you get use to using but i found it was just a bit too much thinking while snowblowing. it made the machine easier to roll around when it wasn't running. i don't know as much about the auto steer but if it is anything like the differential i had in 1 machine it is nice. it would allow you to steer left or right while still driving with 2 wheels instead of taking sharp turns with the trigger steering

·
Registered
244 Posts
I like the trigger steering on my Bolens (MTD). Tried one out before I bought mine.
It has been a relief for my right shoulder.

But this year I have used the blower only twice and then it was only to make sure it would start and run proper.

Not a typical year looks like we are headed for a drought.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I've got a (now 2 year old) Arien's with auto-steer, and fine it very good. My old blower had an open diff, and while this is trivially more work to turn, the gain when on slippery surfaces makes up for it totally, and pretty much negates the need for the differential lock on the open diff. Other than a really odd/rough surface (which I don't have) giving auto-turn trouble, I can't fathom any reason that I would prefer triggers . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts