Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the brass gear that was shredded in my gearbox. After reassembly I spun the impeller to test and part of the rotation (about 30%) spins nice and loose but the rest of It is really sticky. Has anyone experienced this? This is a 12yr old simplicity. Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
The teeth may have bent over a little on the shaft and don't mesh correctly with the new brass gear.
Does it bind while on the bench ..or only after installed in the machine.
If it binds on the bench..more than likely the teeth are bent over a little..if it only binds once installed..more than like a shaft is bent causing a misalignment of the T formation as the input shaft rotates.
If you see the gearbox "wobble" during rotation its a bent shaft

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The teeth may have bent over a little on the shaft and don't mesh correctly with the new brass gear.
Does it bind while on the bench ..or only after installed in the machine.
If it binds on the bench..more than likely the teeth are bent over a little..if it only binds once installed..more than like a shaft is bent causing a misalignment of the T formation as the input shaft rotates.
If you see the gearbox "wobble" during rotation its a bent shaft

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk
Yes it’s binding on the bench. So you are saying the new gear I bought is possibly bad? I bought it from a site that had it listed foronly 30 bucks. Other sites had it at 70.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I don't think it is the brass gear, as it sure sounds like the impeller shaft might have a bend in it. Possibly the end worm spiral gear on that shaft has been deformed or chipped.

JMHO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it is the brass gear, as it sure sounds like the impeller shaft might have a bend in it. Possibly the end worm spiral gear on that shaft has been deformed or chipped.

JMHO
I wonder that too. I’ll try to see if I can find a bend in the shaft. Maybe I need a new worm gear too. Is it common to need a new worm gear also?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I thought it is recommended to replace both gears together. Especially if you only replaced with a used one. It may have worn in at a bit different "set".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it is recommended to replace both gears together. Especially if you only replaced with a used one. It may have worn in at a bit different "set".
Oh sorry. Snowblower was used. Gear was new. I’ll check out new worm gears too if I don’t see a bend . Hopefully not too expensive

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the bend is likely not in the gear and in the shaft that goes through the gear. even if there is a slight bend the high spot in the shaft would cause it to bind every time the high spot rotates towards towards the worm gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh sorry. Snowblower was used. Gear was new. I’ll check out new worm gears too if I don’t see a bend . Hopefully not too expensive
I just took it all apart. The shaft seems straight. I did notice the bushings outside the washer and gear don’t spin very easily though. That seems like it could be an issue.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You want to make sure the seals are good, as well as using the proper lube for inside the gear case. Bad seals would leak, thus wearing prematurely the gears, thus failing again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope. Not the bushings. Got those spinning but still getting the resistance. If something is bent, I can’t see it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well, If you have it all apart, new brass gear and no bend in the impeller shaft and the steel worm spiral gear at the end is OK, and all the seals and bushing/bearings in the case are fine .... There should be no drag whatsoever. ??????

I am still leaning towards a bent impellar shaft ... but hey, I am not there.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
I just replaced the brass gear that was shredded in my gearbox. After reassembly I spun the impeller to test and part of the rotation (about 30%) spins nice and loose but the rest of It is really sticky. Has anyone experienced this? This is a 12yr old simplicity. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, If you have it all apart, new brass gear and no bend in the impeller shaft and the steel worm spiral gear at the end is OK, and all the seals and bushing/bearings in the case are fine .... There should be no drag whatsoever. ??????

I am still leaning towards a bent impellar shaft ... but hey, I am not there.
Agreed. I just can’t think of anything else it could be. Now just need to find one.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Just put it back together, and keep an eye on it .... Not much else you can do it you went through everything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts