Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,183 Posts
I have an old 80s Ariens that I took apart to check the grease in the gearbox. The grease ended up looking fine, but I replaced it anyway while it was apart. I reused all the old parts, but I did jamb a washer in front of one of the bushings to give it a tighter fit. When it was put back together I did feel a slight drag during one spot of the rotation. I just used it like it was and it has been fine for about 4 years now. Granted it hasn't seen a lot of use in that time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I vote bent shaft, or damaged bearings/bushings.

If the latter, the more you run it the smoother it will get! {grin} But not in a good way....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In case anyone has been following. I put it all back together and had the auger blades in backwards. Besides pushing all the snow to the side it looked and sounded great. I got it all apart again, put it back together and now it sounds like the auger is hitting something every rotation. It pushes the snow to the middle and works fine but there's the clank sound every second or so. Oh yeah. I broke a square head bolt that attaches the pulley to the shaft so hopefully I won't have to take apart again.....ugh.

·
Super Moderator
1,607 Posts
sq head set screw, yuk. hope your good at drilling should you need .yes been there done that myself .

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I like to use the socket hex bolts for securing pulleys with some loc-tite .....

Drill that bolt and use an easy-out screw extractor when the time comes to remove it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts