Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit late to be asking this but can I do any damage by storing my Ariens in the service position?
Thanks,
pfn

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I would say in general engines probably shouldn't be stored in abnormal positions. If it has gas (which hopefully it doesn't) it could leak everywhere. Oil can get up into the cylinder or possibly the carb depending on how it is leaning. You would probably be safe if you drain most of the oil out too, but then you have to make sure you remember to fill it before starting it.

Also you front gearbox should be sealed all the way around, but turning it on end might cause oil to leak out of it from a bad seal that isn't normally visible.

I can't think of any other problems, but I don't know a whole lot and what I said above might not even be true.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say in general engines probably shouldn't be stored in abnormal positions. If it has gas (which hopefully it doesn't) it could leak everywhere. Oil can get up into the cylinder or possibly the carb depending on how it is leaning. You would probably be safe if you drain most of the oil out too, but then you have to make sure you remember to fill it before starting it.

Also you front gearbox should be sealed all the way around, but turning it on end might cause oil to leak out of it from a bad seal that isn't normally visible.

I can't think of any other problems, but I don't know a whole lot and what I said above might not even be true.
Your comments mirror my thoughts but the unit takes so much less space in the service position.
I guess I'll give Ariens a call.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
73 Posts
storage

pfn,

Why not store it with clean engine oil and a drained gas tank.

By being serviced in advance, all you need to do is add gas when the snow comes then you 're off. Believe me, when it is cold and snowing, your not going to want to mess with servicing a snowblower.

I don't believe that there is anything special beyond normal maintenance needed such as worrying about parking level or anything else in the owner's manual.

I can't think you should park the beast in any other way than the way you operate it. That's akin to parking your car upside down, no?

QR

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
One other suggestion I could offer. The older ones were real easy to take apart. Two bolts and the front and back sections separate in the middle. If the new ones are like that maybe you could separate them and store the blower part on a shelf or something?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for their suggestions. I'll have to look and see if the parts are easily seperated.
I did contact Ariens. They said that it wasn't a good idea as it would put pressure on the oil seal. That's probably so. I suppose I could drain the oil and store it that way (it is fresh oil btw). They also suggested that the fuel be drained and run out of the carb but that goes without saying.
Thanks again for you input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts