Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet some of you mechanics here have come across the strangest repairs to fix a customers jury-rig attempt to fix their own blowers.

In just the last month I have seen some of my neighbors' attempts for DIY repairs.

Have seen the strangest things used for shear pins, redneck wiring jobs, duck tape and baling wire repairs that barely hold things together, booby pins, paper clips, rubber bands , rope and it goes on and on.

I bet some of you could share a story about the strangest repair you had to make to make it right. What the heck do you charge other than the proper hardware or wiring to cut out tape or wires and strange bolts and wiring? Is there something in your billing hours for fixing "redneck repairs?"

I'm surprised that people will even drop off the machine like this.after they have tried to keep it going for 10 plus years. It's probably like a tooth ache that is so bad that you have to go to the dentist.

Orangputeh ( hope this is a fun topic )

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
One guy a few years ago asked me to look at the "wrong belts" he got from Amazon. He said they were way too short and wanted to know how to measure for correct ones. He was trying to route them AROUND the keepers and idlers:devil:
I also have a neighbor that almost every year out has a "dead" lawn tractor that is fixed by pushing the PTO switch to off.
Forgot one, mom's neighbor had the governor linkage duct taped to "stop it from moving back and forth all the **** time."

·
Registered
725 Posts
Somebody had a Gilson 2 speed Gear Drive and needed to get the transmission out. Apparently they didn't want to remove the 2 speed jack shaft and instead cut a panel out of the back of the chassis, did the repair and patched the chassis back together. That was an instant part down candidate!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a Lawn Chief riding mower project (that I have yet to work on) that I know one of the PO's jury-ridded a push-button start. The only problem with that is...if a battery is hooked up, anyone can start it (even my kids :eeek:) without a key in the ignition. That is one of the first things I will fix...when I get to that project. :rolleyes: It will probably require me completely rewiring the mower...but it isn't exactly the most complicated wiring diagram I have seen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
jury rigged machines got a $100.00 per working by the clock hour bill. no flat rate normal repair like a simple service special would get.

how many over 50 years? i gave up counting. some were simple, some were complex.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Got this one in for repairs this winter and the only problem he described to me on the phone before dropping it off was a starting issue. So ya, that's a golf club being used to turn the chute, the chute is reenforced with a peice of aluminum on the inside and then what looks like a full roll of duct tape holding all that together...WOW.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
I did a job once on a newer Ariens. The drive handle was adjusted so it was always slightly engaged. Because of that, the shifter was hard to move and they broke the shift rod so you had to try to kick the lever to move it. And the auger belt was WAY over stretched so they hammered a piece of wood in behind the tensioner to keep the auger going constantly. DEATH MACHINE.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Got this one in for repairs this winter and the only problem he described to me on the phone before dropping it off was a starting issue. So ya, that's a golf club being used to turn the chute, the chute is reenforced with a peice of aluminum on the inside and then what looks like a full roll of duct tape holding all that together...WOW.
Red green would be proud

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I was just going to say R-G seeing the duct tape. Wasn't a snowblower but I always got a kick out of people who brought in their cars with a leaking power steering hose, the high pressure one (1,000-1,200 psi) with electrical tape wrapped around it like it would stop the leak. I'm sure some hydraulic lift tractors are running around with a few turns too !!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I was just going to say R-G seeing the duct tape. Wasn't a car but I always got a kick out of people who brought in their cars with a leaking power steering hose, the high pressure one (1,000-1,200 psi) with electrical tape wrapped around it like it would stop the leak. I'm sure some hydraulic lift tractors are running around with a few turns too !!
Yea, outrageous, I would have used duct tape, black, to match the hose.

Not knowing the situation, something is leaking bad, you have to stop it so you can drive to the mechanic, electrical tape is something, it's an attempt, though it may not work, you have to first try, then fail, then success.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
I was just going to say R-G seeing the duct tape. Wasn't a car but I always got a kick out of people who brought in their cars with a leaking power steering hose, the high pressure one (1,000-1,200 psi) with electrical tape wrapped around it like it would stop the leak. I'm sure some hydraulic lift tractors are running around with a few turns too !!

Isn't that what "FlexTape" is for :devil:
They advertise it like it will do anything. Actually I have used electricians tape and duct tape to try and slow leaks down enough to get somewhere that it could be fixed.:D Not a daily deal but I keep a roll of each in my vehicles "Just in case".
Actually did you know you could temporarily splice a fan belt with a shoelace? Not long term but drove slow for about 30+ miles one time doing that. Note I said fan belt, not serpentine belt.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Duct tape and WD-40 are must haves.

Duct tape for things that move, and shouldn't.

WD-40 for things that should move, and don't.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You're right about trying something. It's an idea my wife always tried to get me to understand that not everyone knows or cares to know what I did about cars.

I guess it's the fact that I know the pressure in that hose that makes me roll my eyes when I see something like that. It's like all the ads for snowblowers or lawnmowers or ... and the owner says it's not working but it likely only needs a fuse or carb adjustment or something else very minor. If so why the heck don't they do it and double the price ??

I bought an 8hp Spirit because I wanted the engine but it turned out to be in pretty nice shape so I decided to go through it. The owner was a really nice guy, had the owners manual, seemed sorry to let it go all seemed good. When I started to go through it I found out the axle was broken on one side and someone had drilled the remaining stub and put a different wheel on with a pin on the inside next to the body. It only overlapped a couple inches and wobbled. That's the bad thing about going out to look at a blower after work and it's dark. I just didn't see it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't know if this counts....but I actually had a guy give me his Lawn Boy mower because it would not run right for him. He was pissed with it and convinced himself to get rid of this POS and buy a new machine.

It would start but it would not get up to running speed. He fooled around with the Gov spring to get it to run a bit faster but that still did not do it. He basically mangled the spring. Why would someone do that??????

This was a 4 cycle with a Briggs Ready Start Engine. This has an auto choke. No primer.
I took the housing off to look at the choke mechanism and there was a dead baby snake in there wrapped around the linkage and stuff. So basically the choke could not open to run position.

I cleaned it up and put a new Gov spring on it and it was a great machine.

I sold it to a woman who loved it because she liked the Green color and it started on one pull with no priming or choke etc. She still has it and tells me she loves it. So it ended up in a good home with a happy ending.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts