Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I haven't posted here for a while. But today was the day I was replacing the oil and spark plugs in my Honda lawn mower, my Honda pressure washer and also decided to replaced the one my my beloved Honda HSS 928 snowblower.

It was a the first time I was replacing it and it was a nightmare to unscrew it. At first I was: "It must be because the blower is new and the threads are new" It was incredible the amount of force I had to put on the spark plug to remove it. At this time I wasn't really worried until I tried to screw the new one by hand, it was impossible, with the same ratchet I used for the mower and pressure washer and I couldn't even screw it. At this point I was freaking out.

The first year I used the blower for around 40 hours and last year I only used it 3 times for like 2 hours each sessions.

At this point I realized why I had so much trouble starting it. Let me show you some threads I created the past 2 years about this
And also this thread where I noticed that the dealer didn't put enough oil in the engine
In the Honda HSS928 Pre-Delivery manual (The manual that the dealers use to build the machine when they receive it, it is clearly indicated that THEY install the spark plug.
BUT THEY DECIDED TO DELIVER ME A BLOWER WITH A STRIPPED SPARK PLUG HOLE

This is unnacceptable as a Honda Dealer.

What should I do, and by the way, its them here Pridex Sports

Can someone help me, I wish [email protected] could guide me.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
good luck with the dealer after 2 years.

you can get a spark plug hole repair kit at the auto parts store to tap out the hole and put new thread insert in to match your spark plug.

you will not have to remove the head.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Sorry... but am I the only one to find it hard to believe that Honda ships and stores their blowers with the spark plug uninstalled and the cylinder open to atmosphere, only for the dealer to install the plug just prior to delivery?

Something's missing from this story. Sorry again but your linked posts more than hint that you are not too familiar with small engines... are you positive you didn't do something like turn the plug the wrong way initially? And if the plug seemed tight enough that you needed "incredible... amount of force" to turn it then why did you proceed anyhow?

And hold off on the bold red letters please. We get it.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
good luck with the dealer after 2 years.

you can get a spark plug hole repair kit at the auto parts store to tap out the hole and put new thread insert in to match your spark plug.

you will not have to remove the head.
There is only 1 flaw in that theory. you will get shaving down into piston and piston walls.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry... but am I the only one to find it hard to believe that Honda ships and stores their blowers with the spark plug uninstalled and the cylinder open to atmosphere, only for the dealer to install the plug just prior to delivery?

Something's missing from this story. Sorry again but your linked posts more than hint that you are not too familiar with small engines... are you positive you didn't do something like turn the plug the wrong way initially?

I hope you are kidding me? I just mentionned that I changed the oïl and the park plug in all of my other Honda power Equipment.
I also rebuilt the carbs in those machine since I bought them used.

But the snowblower was new.

And turning the wrong way? Seriously?

And if the plug seemed tight enough that you needed "incredible... amount of force" to turn it then why did you proceed anyhow?

And hold off on the bold red letters please. We get it

I really like how instead of helping me find some solution...you blame me.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I do NOT think that he is trying to blame you but instead he is saying (and I agree with it) that is never heard that the spark plug would be missing upon arrival to a dealer or that it would have to be changed on a brand new Honda engine before delivery.
If the dealer did replace the spark plug, the question would be "Why they did it....???"
I insist in the fact that you should PM [email protected], ask him for his advice on how to handle the situation and go from there..... If the Dealer caused the damage, I'm confident that you'll be able to get it resolved.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do NOT think that he is trying to blame you but instead he is saying (and I agree with it) that is never heard that the spark plug would be missing upon arrival to a dealer or that it would have to be changed on a brand new Honda engine before delivery.
If the dealer did replace the spark plug, the question would be "Why they did it....???"
I insist in the fact that you should PM [email protected], ask him for his advice on how to handle the situation and go from there..... If the Dealer caused the damage, I'm confident that you'll be able to get it resolved.

I explain it in the OP, they receive the crate and they build the snowblower at the dealer. They install the spark plug at the dealer.

What in the name of ZEUS is a PDI Form anyway???????

They never made me sign that and never had a yellow copy.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Facts:
• All new Honda power equipment is assembled and shipped with the spark plug installed and properly tightened to engineering spec. At the factory, every engine is briefly run and engine speed checked and adjusted as needed. Fuel is drained out, and the spark plug CAP is disconnected.

• Officially, dealers are expected to do a pre-delivery inspection on all equipment before released to the customer. In reality, most new equipment requires very little inspection...for new-model HSS machines, they are fully assembled, and generally just get fuel and oil, and probably a test run. Late model Canadian-spec HSS machines do require some assembly, but do have the spark plug installed at the factory. A more diligent dealer will go over a new unit to check for any flaws, check all controls, verify operation, etc. However, I've never heard of one having to touch the spark plug at all, except to snap on the cap/wire.

Of course, it is possible the spark plug was improperly fitted at the factory, and such a defect in manufacturing would be 100% covered by warranty (36 months from date of purchase). It is generally up to the dealer, and in some cases, a Honda Service Manager to determine if the problem is a genuine defect, or if it was caused by other factors.

Step 1 would be to discuss with the selling dealer, express your concerns, and probably arrange to have the unit inspected and evaluated by the dealer's service shop. They would then typically determine the problem as 'factory defect' or not, and potentially discuss with Honda's tech services department as needed.

If a customer is not satisfied with the dealer's decision or recommend solution, I'd urge them to contact Honda's Customer Relations department and discuss; that's what they are there for, after all. Have the full serial number, name of dealer, etc. when you call for fastest service.

FYI, I read the original selling dealer is 'closed?" Are they out of business? If that's the case, any other Honda dealer can still provide warranty service work, even if they did not sell you the machine. If the dealer is indeed closed down for good, I'd suggest you contact Honda's Customer Relations first:

Honda Customer Relations
180 Honda Blvd.
Markham, ON
L6C 0H9

Toll Free: 1-888-9-HONDA-9 (1-888-946-6329)
Hours: 8:00 am to 7:30 pm Mon to Fri (EST)

FYI, I don't work for Honda Canada, but I understand they have a similar warranty and service process like that used by my employer, American Honda.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That stinks Karlitos!

I've had to helicoil 2 cylinder heads (30 yo machines) so I can empathize with that cold chill you get when the threads come-out with the plug.

Did anyone oil/fog the cylinder at the end of last season?

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
There is only 1 flaw in that theory. you will get shaving down into piston and piston walls.
I never have had to do this before but you bring up an excellent point. There are you-tube videos on this procedure. Maybe they address this .

BTW. How hard would it be to take off the head? a couple minutes?

·
Banned
474 Posts
When removing spark plugs always blow compressed air around the plug to get rid of any debris. After initially breaking plug loose it can sometimes take a good deal of force to turn. If that does happen spray down towards the plug threads liberally with your favorite weasel pi$$ and work plug back and forth freeing it up.

On installation a small dab of anti-seize on plug threads works wonders for the next removal.

·
Banned
474 Posts
PDI is pre-delivery inspection which is done by a Dealer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thank you for the info Robert. Do you know if I had to sign and receive a PDI check list? (The yellow copy)
Not sure, sorry. I do not know what Honda Canada's policy is regarding customer sign-off on the PDI checklist.

I'd urge you to contact Honda Canada Customer Relations to discuss.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts