Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I am dismanteling an old seized tec 8hp for fun, and for my own knowledge, one of the 2 pulley set screw is stuck, i put wd40 in in, but it just doesn't want to move, what should I do?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You could try a good penetrant such as Liquid Wrench, Kroil etc. WD40 is not that great of a penetrant.
Apply the penetrant every day for a few days. Give the screw a few good wacks with a hammer using a punch or allen key, or air hammer with a pointed tip if you have one.

·
Registered
Troy-Bilt 11/30 Storm 8.5/27 Craftsman II Husqvarna 580 BTSII Backpack Husqvarna125B Handheld Blower
33 Posts
Be aware that someone along the line may have had it apart and reinstalled with loctite. Heat is the only way especially if they used the high strength product. I assume it is recessed so heating followef by pb blaster or kroil. Let it sit and penetrate. Also when I worked in electric motor shop sometimes TWO setscrews had been installed with locktite on critical assemblies.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be aware that someone along the line may have had it apart and reinstalled with loctite. Heat is the only way especially if they used the high strength product. I assume it is recessed so heating followef by pb blaster or kroil. Let it sit and penetrate. Also when I worked in electric motor shop sometimes TWO setscrews had been installed with locktite on critical assemblies.
I don't think that is the case, as I was able to remove one with wd40 only, no heat

·
Registered
516 Posts
Don't forget to have a good impact (screw) driver in your war-tools chest. With a good set of impact-rated hex drivers. Sometimes the combination of the sharp impact from the hammer and the sharp twist from the driver are enough to break loose some stubborn fasteners. I think I've had my 1970's vintage Snap-On driver kit since it was new. A bit spendy at the time, but it's certainly paid for itself many times over in the decades since.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
A gex bit in an impact driver may work.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Reactions: db130

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I invested in a $50 MAPP gas torch back in 2004 when I had to replace the rear calipers of the car I was driving at the time; the brake line fittings were pretty crusty and would not loosen even with the proper brake line wrench. I was able to loosen the brake lines on both calipers with the torch, so it basically paid for itself the first time I used it (it has since paid for itself many times over).

You will not regret the purchase.

·
Registered
482 Posts
so it basically paid for itself the first time I used it (it has since paid for itself many times over).
Over the years, when faced with these problems and knowing a tool I did not own would solve the problem, I went ahead and invested in a good version of that tool. Buy a cheap one, and you will usually have to replace it. It's funny how these 'one time use' tools get used again when you are in a pinch. This is especially true for the commonly used stuff. How many guys here do not own a torch?*

As you said, the first time pays for the tool, from then on its gravy.

*Over the years I've thrown away a number of propane torches - picked up at house sales, or flea markets. Finally settled on an air acetylene Turbo Torch with several tips (mostly for plumbing use). I use that way more often than my oxy acetylene rig.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I agree with Wrenching, look on Craigslist or Facebook and you can buy a used plumber's torch and B tank, acetylene gas, for the same price or a little more than a new MAPP, it's hotter and 1/20th the gas cost, hotter, still portable, more versatile. I have propane, MAPP, B tank, and oxy-acetylene. I use the B tank the most.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts