Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have probably done this right maybe 300 times on hondas. but i just spent 2 HOURS trying to get inright on this guys 928.

did the adjustmnets inhis perfect flat garage.

clues.

the oldscraper was worn to nub. one side of bucket has NO wear on side. the other side is ground down about 3/8ths of an inch.

i compensated for this by adj. scraper bar perfectly parralel with floor about one painter stick off ground oneach side. then adjusted shoes properly. did this in middle position as honda manual states. even showed the owner manualand did it step by step.

it workedgoodon my flat drive. on his sloped driveway it is either pullin/catching right and sometime left. both ways .

i tried at least 10 different options on the adjustments. one stick under bar , 2 sticks which made it worse. the shoes are perfectly flat on concrete floor when in middle position so dont understand how itcould be dragging.

i know the shoes are supposed to be lower than bar so bar does not scrape nor the sides.

has anyone run into this problem before? and have a solution which my brain is not seeing? like i said, i have done hundreds of these. to test adj i put bucket in middle position an just use my lefthand tohold drive lever down and when it is right the machine tracks perfectly straight.

yes , i checked track adj.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Sounds like the auger housing may not be quite square to the tractor housing? On my HSS1332 I had to loosen all the connecting bolts and then square it to the concrete with the scraper bar perfectly square to the housing.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the auger housing may not be quite square to the tractor housing? On my HSS1332 I had to loosen all the connecting bolts and then square it to the concrete with the scraper bar perfectly square to the housing.
we were wondering that. i was think of suggesting some armor side skids. no pre drilled holes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Honda did have a service bulletin out years ago about the auger housings not being "Square" with the Tractor frame, and what to do with it.
Honda mentioned to loosen all of the tractor frame bolts and auger housing to tractor frame, then grab by handlebars and shake it to let it realign itself, doing it on a flat level surface, then re-tighten all of the bolts.
Back when they made the 828's and 624's they had a problem with the housing to frame mounting "Square" that is welded to the auger housing not being aligned properly from manufacture.
I worked with the Honda engineers back then about that problem and told them that it was a problem with the "Jig" used in the welding assembly of the housings.
They checked into it and found that was the problem and eventually had to replace many auger housings because of the misalignment that caused the auger housing to "Tilt".
That mistake by the company that built the auger housings for Honda at that time had cost Honda a lot of money when they had to replace all of those housings under warranty.
Honda had to have the facility reset the "Jig" to properly align the "Square" to combat that problem. I remember working with them quite well back in the mid 90's when that happened.
At the time when the problem occurred all auger housings were manufactured by a company located in Canada. Honda did not make the auger housings, the company that fabricated them also made auger housings for almost all of the other manufacturers.
When the auger housing was "Tilted" a little bit it caused the scraper bar to wear on an angle and wear one side of the skid shoes faster than the other side. It also caused the machine to "Pull" to the "Low Side" of the housing that was tilted down.
If you parked the machine on a level surface and looked at it from the front, you could actually see the little bit of the "Tilt" of the auger housing on the ones that had the problem.
If by re-setting the tractor frame the way the bulletin mentioned did not fix the problem, then Honda had to replace the auger housing for the customer, and they were an expensive part. They had cost over $1,000 US Dollars back then.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If you install the auger housing on the machine with the machine set to be at the middle position (normal use) then you will always have the issue of the bucket not being square or being tilted upwards. Install the auger bucket with the chassis set to be at the high position and the bucket being supported by something so you can install the bolts properly.

If its a wheeled machine then check the tire pressure, I have had this happen in the past where one tire would be off by 1 or 2 PSI and the machine wouldnt track true.

Lastly, the bearings on the driveshafts may be worn. Seeing how the scrapper bar is so worn I can guess the machine is old and has never had the bearings replaced. If you have one or both the bearings on the left side worn then the machine would not track true. The left side bearings are usually the first to go.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda did have a service bulletin out years ago about the auger housings not being "Square" with the Tractor frame, and what to do with it.
Honda mentioned to loosen all of the tractor frame bolts and auger housing to tractor frame, then grab by handlebars and shake it to let it realign itself, doing it on a flat level surface, then re-tighten all of the bolts.
Back when they made the 828's and 624's they had a problem with the housing to frame mounting "Square" that is welded to the auger housing not being aligned properly from manufacture.
I worked with the Honda engineers back then about that problem and told them that it was a problem with the "Jig" used in the welding assembly of the housings.
They checked into it and found that was the problem and eventually had to replace many auger housings because of the misalignment that caused the auger housing to "Tilt".
That mistake by the company that built the auger housings for Honda at that time had cost Honda a lot of money when they had to replace all of those housings under warranty.
Honda had to have the facility reset the "Jig" to properly align the "Square" to combat that problem. I remember working with them quite well back in the mid 90's when that happened.
At the time when the problem occurred all auger housings were manufactured by a company located in Canada. Honda did not make the auger housings, the company that fabricated them also made auger housings for almost all of the other manufacturers.
When the auger housing was "Tilted" a little bit it caused the scraper bar to wear on an angle and wear one side of the skid shoes faster than the other side. It also caused the machine to "Pull" to the "Low Side" of the housing that was tilted down.
If you parked the machine on a level surface and looked at it from the front, you could actually see the little bit of the "Tilt" of the auger housing on the ones that had the problem.
If by re-setting the tractor frame the way the bulletin mentioned did not fix the problem, then Honda had to replace the auger housing for the customer, and they were an expensive part. They had cost over $1,000 US Dollars back then.
great info. i will try this. if it doesnt work i may install some side slide skid. this machine is a 928 and about 15 years old. I did have to remove bucket to replace impeller bearing . I also had to install a new bar and back skids. The owner can not the $800 or so for a new housing.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you install the auger housing on the machine with the machine set to be at the middle position (normal use) then you will always have the issue of the bucket not being square or being tilted upwards. Install the auger bucket with the chassis set to be at the high position and the bucket being supported by something so you can install the bolts properly.

If its a wheeled machine then check the tire pressure, I have had this happen in the past where one tire would be off by 1 or 2 PSI and the machine wouldnt track true.

Lastly, the bearings on the driveshafts may be worn. Seeing how the scrapper bar is so worn I can guess the machine is old and has never had the bearings replaced. If you have one or both the bearings on the left side worn then the machine would not track true. The left side bearings are usually the first to go.
thanks. I did have remove the housing to replace impeller bearing and some other work. are u speaking of the side auger bearings? I did inspect them .Ot the bearings on the side covers for the drive wheels? I did not inspect them, The machine is 15 years old and the owner never did any mainteance. The bar was worn to the nub. the skids were completely worn out.

I had to weld the back of the bucket cause as you can see he blew them out. One side blew out first and he continued to use for 2 seasons. That side of housing is worn down about 3/8ths of an inch than the other side.It took me awhile to adjust the scraper properly because of this.

picture is what i started with. you can see the skids. the broken pieces fit it almost perfect like a puzzle. I think the angle is just about perfect for the skids. In the middle position the skids are flat on floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yeah, I am pretty sure those bearings are shot plus check the right gear case for the bushes within, chances are those are gone too as the machine had to work extra hard most of its life to push the bucket.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Also, if the bearings are gone then the driveshaft may be worn too, I have seen that in the past where the shaft would be worn down enough to sit loose within the bearing and cause traction/direction issue.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I am pretty sure those bearings are shot plus check the right gear case for the bushes within, chances are those are gone too as the machine had to work extra hard most of its life to push the bucket.
if that rebuild is necessary it may not be worth it to him. This repair/service was $400. I didnt even think of those items.I checked the track adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember @tabora talking about this. the owner has had this machine for 15 years and never had this problem. The housing has never been removed before until I removed it.

when I replace the housing I lean the machine back on handle bars and install the bucket without the augers to cut down on the weight.much easier for me and never had a problem before. So I think you guys are right and it was not orientated correctly when I tightened the bolts. I start all the bolts and then tighten the corners and then all the rest.

I'll loosen all the bolts and try shaking and maybe get a square fit that way.

will check back,

·
Registered
961 Posts

It wasn't the Up-Down tilt that was the problem with the Honda's, it was the Left Side-Right Side tilt that some of the Honda's had.
The Up-Down wont make much difference because it will do that on a track drive normally when the bucket is raised and lowered.
The Side to Side, or Left-Right was the major problem.
It would cause un-even scraper-bar,skid shoe, and auger housing wear. It would also cause the machine to pull to the side that was tilted down lower and trying to "Dig In" more.
Honda wanted the machine set on the "MIddle setting on the track drive model when adjusting the auger housing so it would be more "Flat" or even when it was in the normal operating mode to blow snow with.
If you set it when the bucket was raised, it would tilt forward and down and eventually wear the front sides of the housing because they would be too low when it was lowered and set into the "Middle" position for clearing snow. They want the bucket to be "Flat" when set in the middle position because that is the most commonly used position.
If the bucket is tilted forward and down you would start to wear the teeth off of the augers from the angle it would be at because they would hit the ground and the scraper bar and rear mount skid shoes would be lowered all the way down to compensate to keep the augers up high enough as to not hit the ground.
Once the skid shoes and scraper bar start wearing down, the augers make contact with the ground and the front of the side panels of the housing will wear from hitting the ground.
The wheel drive models can also be effected by not having the proper tire pressure in them or the wrong sized tires. Tire height will make a difference as to the "Tilt" angles whether it be "Side to Side" or "Front to Back", so keep the proper amount of air in the tires as per manufacturers recommendations, which is in the owner's manual.
JnC mentioned a good thing about the Axle/Driveshaft to frame bearings being worn that most people don't check.
Although Honda uses Ball Bearings that last a long time, they do wear, and when they do, most people wont realize it until it starts doing damage to the wheel/track drive axle.
A lot of other companies use a bushing that wears much quicker and has to be greased/lubricated all the time so they notice a problem with them sooner than the Honda with its ball bearings. So when doing a service on the machine, tip it up on end or raise the frame up so the wheels or tracks are off the ground and grab the drive wheels and try to "Wiggle" them "Side to Side" to check for any play/wear in the drive axle to frame mounting position.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For this case the bucket was off square by about 1/4 inch on opposite diagonals. so loosened all bolts , reset, tightened.

reset scraper bar and skids and now tracks straight as it should in scraper modes.

thanks everyone.

the bearings were fine.

·
Registered
961 Posts
For this case the bucket was off square by about 1/4 inch on opposite diagonals. so loosened all bolts , reset, tightened.

reset scraper bar and skids and now tracks straight as it should in scraper modes.

thanks everyone.

the bearings were fine.
Good to hear that fixed your problem.
That is a common problem when removing the auger housing from the tractor frame and not getting it aligned up just right. There are little tricks to doing it just right, and it can be a pain in the butt sometimes.
A 1/4 inch out, side end to side end, sounds like the loosening of the mounting bolts should have corrected it with enough room for adjustment with the little bit of clearance in the bolt holes where it mounts.
The ones that had to have the auger housing replaced from the factory defect of not having the "Jig" set up properly during fabrication of the housing were out by around an inch or more. You could only bring them back to within a half inch or so, and that wasn't enough to get it level enough. The auger housing was still tilted to one side and it caused uneven wear on the shoes and scraper bars, plus it caused the machine to pull to the side that was lower to the ground from it digging in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts