Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new from 2006 Craftsman 31A-3CDE799 snowblower has fought its last snowstorm. After the the Simplicity wouldn't start I pulled out the Craftsman. That little champ of a Tecumseh motor fired right up, but the belt slipped off not long I started using it. The reason? Excessive flexing of the unit. Why?

Because rust is an @#%& that's why. There's very little solid left of the blower housing. It's basically held on with two of its4 bolts, the belt, and hope and dreams.

Shame because the tractor is in good shape and everything technically works. If I could locate a front end for cheap I'd fix it.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
why? because its an mtd, with paper thin sheet metal and coated with the crappiest thinnest coat of paint mtd can use. love how a 10 year old mtd is completely rotted through, while the 40 plus your old ariens machines i sell usually only have some minor surface rust(almost all caused by scratches) which are easily fixable, ive never had an older one come with in with rot. usually those mtds rot at the side panels and then they collapse. just goes to show the quality of these machines. anyways it isnt kind of sad to see it like that, but i bet if you post it for 50 on craigslist somebody would buy it(i would pay 25 for a good used set of tires to swap onto ariens rims and 25 for a good used tecumseh to resell, and them i have some scrap steel leftover to use for projects and fabricating parts).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made that connection. It's hilarious how badly rusted it is vs the other two machines I have.

This one is my mom's though and its lightness made it easier for her to use it. The Simplicity weights roughly nine hundred thousand tons, bless its heart (which is why its not a rot box I know). :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
why? because its an mtd, with paper thin sheet metal and coated with the crappiest thinnest coat of paint mtd can use. love how a 10 year old mtd is completely rotted through, while the 40 plus your old ariens machines i sell usually only have some minor surface rust(almost all caused by scratches) which are easily fixable, ive never had an older one come with in with rot. usually those mtds rot at the side panels and then they collapse. just goes to show the quality of these machines. anyways it isnt kind of sad to see it like that, but i bet if you post it for 50 on craigslist somebody would buy it(i would pay 25 for a good used set of tires to swap onto ariens rims and 25 for a good used tecumseh to resell, and them i have some scrap steel leftover to use for projects and fabricating parts).
Not just mtd I have seen 10 yr old ariens, toros simplicitys rot out too. All related to powder coating paint

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
. The Simplicity weights roughly nine hundred thousand tons, . :)
:icon-clapping-smile That's frickin funny. They do seem to be built out of industrial shelving first to get them up to 300+ pounds, and then bolt the engine on. My parents neighbor had a Pro 36 model that i used to joke with him needed a reverse "beeper" like a sand truck:yahoo:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Man, that pic is nasty. I'd also hold out for a replacement front end. One nice thing about MTD is that they're abundant and many parts are common across their various stencil brands. You're bound to find a compatible one for cheap, if not now then at the end of winter. People usually give them up when the engine problems crop up. Future project?

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little maintenance during it's years might have prolonged it's lifespan, wouldn't hurt to clean up any bare metal after the season or apply some Rust Check Spray. Still plenty of used parts can be salvaged for a future project.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little maintenance during it's years might have prolonged it's lifespan, wouldn't hurt to clean up any bare metal after the season or apply some Rust Check Spray. Still plenty of used parts can be salvaged for a future project.
Indeed, it probably could have had better anti-corrosion maintenance. With that in mind, The Simplicity got Fluid Flimed to help protect it. She's not getting any younger!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not just mtd I have seen 10 yr old ariens, toros simplicitys rot out too. All related to powder coating paint
Yeah, I think it also depends on how well the owners maintain their equipment. I have a 18 yr. old YardMan (MTD) that doesn`t have a spot of rust on it because I clean and rinse the salt off after every big snow event.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I live near a scrap metal yard and see a snowblower there almost daily. If you near some place like that check it out. Maybe you could get a blower with a bad motor and do a swap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I hate to throw it away since the back half is solid and it's never failed to run and two snowblowers are always better than one after a snowstorm! Decided to perform a Merger of Equals if you will. Here's the old front end in all of its, erm, holy glory.

I did a bit of hunting and came across an guy on CL who sells snowblower parts. Turns out he had a complete 5/22 front end and offered it for $50 with my old one. Bit of drive but not bad. nice thing about these little units is that the front ends completely fit in the Prizm's trunk. Here's what I got:

The guy was shocked how badly rotted mine was. We chatted for a bit, he threw in some nice skids for it, and home I went.

Today, I finally got a chance to perform the operation. I picked up a new belt for the front end since the original was on its way out and some nice new bolts to mount the skids and the two halves together. Operation went smoothly and I declare it a success. It lives once more!

Ready for action!

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
That looks great! Keep the drive pulley and 3 cog impeller adapter. You got that front end cheaper than buying the MTD/Craftsman "Polo Green" can of spray paint:eusa_clap:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That looks great! Keep the drive pulley and 3 cog impeller adapter. You got that front end cheaper than buying the MTD/Craftsman "Polo Green" can of spray paint:eusa_clap:
Right? I wish that paint wasn't so bloody expensive and difficult to get (no Sears around here).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts