Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here from Colorado.:smile2:
I was given a mint condition 28 “ Craftsman with a 9 hp (318cc) Tecumseh that threw a rod. (Oil cap fell off).
The shaft is 7/8 “ x 2.75. Most replacement engines have a 3/4 “ shaft.
My problem is the pulleys have a built in key way. This presents a problem mounting them on a new engine using a 3/4 to 7/8 sleeve adaptor.
I would like to use the current pulleys due to spacing or what would you use instead for new pulleys?
Also what size and brand of replacement engine would the more senior members suggest?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but the sleeve adaptor does not solve my issue of the pulleys. As I mentioned, the pulleys have the key attached to the inside of each pulley.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Universal 3/4" or 1" pulleys could be had for around $15-$20 each that are secured to the crank with setscrews.

Measure the diameter of your existing pulleys and we can direct you to the appropriate pulley vendors. I only know of two reasonably priced 7/8" crank snowblower engine at the moment and they are 205cc and 208cc, respectively, and that's a not a suitable match to a 28" bucket.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Does your pulley have an built in key? If it does you might have to get a new one anyways. Post some pictures of your set up maybe someone has something that can work.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Unfortunately you are kind of in no mans land with the engine size and pulley issues. How bad did she blow up? A lot of them get fixed if it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a spider web crack in the block under the starter. It is junk.
I see a YouTube of the same conversion. It appeared cobbled together and not reliable.
Thanks to all that responded. I'll keep looking.....

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Just for the experience, I've re rodded three Tec's, and they all worked out well. I just tapped the aluminum block shards back together and spread multiple layers of JB weld over the hole. I'd use a Predator now to repower unless the Tec was a two shaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts