Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally ran over the Sunday paper under the snow and it is wedged in the impeller. on my TORO snowthrower I cut away as much of the paper as possible but cannot get it free. Do I need to disassemble the impeller and how do I do that

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Frustrated

What model # ??
If it's still frozen might be time for a hair dryer to soften it up so you can pull it all out. Check for damage before firing it up and before using it if you get that paper free.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
soak it with warm water..turn it to mush, should be able to pull it out that way.
get some big pliers, and just pull out little bits at a time until the whole thing is loose enough to come out..

you could also try a small saw, like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-6-in-FatMax-Jab-Saw-20-556/203730285

that should rip it up nicely..
I doubt you will need to disasemble the auger..just hack away at the paper, it will come out..

Scot

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
See, many of us don't have that problem because we either don't get the paper or get it online! Or we have a much better paper carrier!

You have to keep trying to remove as much as possible, use a utility knife, a hacksaw blade, a saw, keep sawing away.

There's been many suggestions before, over a dozen do a search for newspaper.

One of the things suggested is using a 2x4 to pry the impeller blade or auger rake, but there were many other good suggestions. It all depends upon the situation. Maybe you can even burn it away with a propane torch but then you are also burning the paint away. On some machines it's very easy to remove the sides giving you better access to the impeller.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
If it is that jammed up in there, you just might have to. otherwise post some pics of this mess. so the masses here can have a looksee at it all. ALOHA from the Paradise City.:smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you're not already beyond the thawing stage, a Hair Dryer can be useful in accelerating that process; maybe with a blanket put over the scoop to retain some of the heat.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Been there, done that on my Toro 521. Try to get the impeller to go backwards . . . usually that will free things up.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Already soaked. Guess I just need to keep hacking away

Thanks
if you could get it into the garage and throw some heat on it , maybe a hair dryer or portable heater and unthaw. then use some big channel locks or something similar.

very common problem around here. newspapers, tarps, pine cones, firewood, slippers, etc. it all comes out without disassembly with patience. however real fine stuff like tarp remnants, wire, string , etc. may need disassembly.

after you clear it, make sure your shear pins are still okay. or nothing was bent.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Get yourself a newspaper tube and tell your newspaper carrier they will get an end of year tip if the newspaper is always placed in the tube. Our local newspaper will give the subscriber a free newspaper tube on request (and deliver it to your house).

·
Registered
871 Posts
It took me forever to get the wife untangled from the auger. The next time I'm going to use a wood chipper. ;)

It's a joke son, a joke I said.
not funny....... you have no feelings for what the snowblower went through, and then to add insult to injury you compare it to a wood chipper........not cool man

·
Registered
146 Posts
He could also take his shear pins out and start backing it out that way as well. Thats how i got a door mat out of someones snowblower......................

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Yup, something to be said for 'pull the shear pins, and back it out with a large wrench on the augur shaft' . . . Not subtle, but effective . .

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had this happen on my old MTD,it bent my auger.But with patience ,I got it out one bit at a time ,the paper was not readable lol.

if you could get it into the garage and throw some heat on it , maybe a hair dryer or portable heater and unthaw. then use some big channel locks or something similar.

very common problem around here. newspapers, tarps, pine cones, firewood, slippers, etc. it all comes out without disassembly with patience. however real fine stuff like tarp remnants, wire, string , etc. may need disassembly.

after you clear it, make sure your shear pins are still okay. or nothing was bent.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It took me forever to get the wife untangled from the auger. The next time I'm going to use a wood chipper. ;)

It's a joke son, a joke I said.
Terrible. This is "Snowblowerforum.com". Thou shalt not take the name snowblower in vain. And you mix it with an unholy wife.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts