Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I was removing 2 foot deep snow out from the front of my house before the spring melt starts here in Canada, which is next week apparently. The snowblower rocked it, that snow was there all winter and now it's gone, once done two rows I put it in idle to have a look at my work, when I came back she had oil all over the tire and the ground.

I have added a youtube video

What's your thoughts?

I cleaned it all up, made sure there were no visible signs of leakage, ran it hard after checking the oil level of course and it ran didn't leak a drop.

Ran it three or four times since the incident. Perhaps previous owner had it over filled (oil) and when I worked it I forced it out some how?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Something is definitely up. It is possible that it was overfilled. Did you ever check the oil before using it? It is also possible that the carb float is sticking or not closing the fuel all the way and some of your gas ended up in the oil. If you have gas in the oil you want to change the oil and fix the leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't check the oil before using it, only the oil level it seems a bit high, just over the full mark. (not anymore it's perfect now lol the machine sorted that out)

I need to find out what kind of oil and how many ounces this specific model takes before I do the change. My brother has assured me the oil has been changed in the past. To make sure the engine has what it needs I'm going to change over the oil in the next few days when it's warmer. I found the online manuals as well just need to read it over.

I'm thankful for no more leakage woohoo but also would like to know what caused such an issue. I'll let you know about the gas in the oil (if any) when I do the drain. I can't smell any on the dip stick but that's hard to tell anyways.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
No I didn't check the oil before using it, only the oil level it seems a bit high, just over the full mark. (not anymore it's perfect now lol the machine sorted that out).
Get into the habit of checking oil before you start the engine. Also, check for fuel, no bigger PITA than getting a couple of hundred feet from the gas can and finding out you only had enough gas in it to get a couple of hundred feet from the gas can. Make sure you get that oil off the rubber tire, oil and rubber don't get along that well.

Your engine probably has a couple of low mounted oil fill plugs on it, one on each side toward the front of the engine near the bottom of the block. These things have plastic caps on them with two raised studs, often yellow in colour. Make sure those are tight. Heard of a guy who had one of these fall out, and it pumped all the oil in the engine onto the ground, which he didn't notice until the engine seized. Aslo check that the dipstick assembly is securely installed where the plastic tube meets the engine. Those sometimes leak.

They look like the attached picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts