Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you use a little regular dino grease, it hardens after time, after a long long time, as if the volatile compounds evaporate. I haven't used synthetic grease for as long as I have dino grease but my feelings are it won't harden. This is only one reason why I use synthetic.

I've been using the brand Never-Seize since my father introduced me to it in the early 60s, and have used it since on anything that may get stuck on by rust, heat, or torque including car lug nuts, muffler & exhaust bolts.

I will still use Never-Seize where heat is involved because of the high melting temperature. If synthetic doesn't harden after time and cause sticking, tightness, I've been using it instead of Never-Seize where heat is not involved, snowblower axles, skid shoes and scraper bar bolts, sliding friction disk hex bar.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
I've taken too many things apart finding that the lube inside has dried up. I always replace it with synthetic.
I have a tub of Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease P/N 102481 on hand for packing bearings so that's what I use. Also have it in the grease gun.
The tub can be had at Walmart for $10 Likely a little more at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I have been using Never-Seize ever since I can remember ... will continue.

(lol ... except occasionally where I want a dab of thread locker)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm quite sure that a choice of grease is just like the "best oil" threads.
And using anti-seize needs to be considered when applying it to different situations. Never-Seez may be the most known but many brands and types are on the market, copper based, aluminum, nickel, etc. there is even a teflon based anti-seize. Each has it own purpose, heat range, corrosion, etc. and type of materials.
The biggest and basic thing to be aware of is that "torque factors" change with the use of anti-seize, maybe as little as 5% or as much as 20%. There are correction factor charts for most of these products. Also some spark plug manufacturers recommend its use, some say do not use any. Or whenever engine assembly is done some bolts may be recommended for anti-seize, some may not according to different metals used in the engine castings used by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
so is there testing to show that the volatile compounds in synthetic do not evaporate as fast? I am not doubting the usefulness of synthetic grease and oil, just wondering if this reason has been validated.

tx

·
Registered
190 Posts
Anti seize compounds are made to prevent exactly what most of us use them for...to prevent a nut and bolt, or bolt and threaded hole from becoming corroded together. They are not lubricants, per se, and have different properties than oil or grease or even assembly lube. Each has its place and was designed for specific applications.

We might get away using them for purposes for which they were never designed, but that is exactly what we are doing, getting away with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts