Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2000 craftsman 5 HP blower....model 247.886640. I can't say enough good stuff about this blower. I bought it at a time when I was the only blower owner on my cul-de-sac. I would do 7 or 8 homes on my street, then put it in the back of my Isuzu Trooper and take it to my MIL's home and do her's and 1 or 2 of her neighbors and then take it to my Mother's house and do the same.

I've used this blower so much that I've actually worn down the original snow hogs and just last week added a set of chains. It's cleaned light, heavy, dry, wet, small and blizzard snow falls....and it never let me down. Had to replace the belts twice. First time I didn't have a spare and it took hours to find one and then install it...second time the spare was in the garage....took 10 minutes to replace.

I just purchased a replacement.....Troy-Bilt 2840....which will be delivered in a few days. My craftsman still looks and runs new....I'm giving it to my step-son-in-law because his blower....a 30 year-old blower he inherited from his grandfather.....is on it's last leg.

Anyway....back to my own topic. I'd love to know how many hours are on the ol' girl. I can't go back in time, but I can start off counting the hours on the new girl in town. I was thinking of getting one of those inductive type tach/hour meters that wrap around the spark plug wire. I know it's not going to change anything I do as far as maintenance, but it's just more of a toy for my new toy.

Has anyone installed one of these? Got any tips or pics?

thanks....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a "Tiny Tach" digital on my lawn tractor. It displays the RPM when running and the hours when not running. However, the battery it uses is not replaceable and is only good for like 5 years. I would try to find a meter that reads like the odometer in older cars. Those are not the easy wrap around the plug wire instalation. They require taping into the coil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the SenDec tach and hour meter combos. They don't seem to need an internal battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts