Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been doing a little research on tach/hour meters lately because I'm thinking of installing them on my regularly used pieces of equipment. This includes two cylinder Honda engines, a two cylinder Onan and single cylinder engines. Seems the prices are all over the place from really inexpensive to "you want how much"!?" So, like everything else, which ones are the best and which ones should you stay away from?

Just wondering what brands and models of tach/hour meters you folks have installed on your snowblowers. How satisfied have you been with them and what issues, if any have you encountered in their installation and longevity.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use them mainly to track hrs...
Kinda nice to have a built in tach
FWIW, I used to buy the $35 Works/Sendec

The reality is, these all have sealed batteries, so once the batteries go, you need a new one. For the last 3 years, I've just buying them on Ebay for about 1/4 of the price above...

YMMV...

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
NOPE ... not anymore. I have the sealed battery ones and it ticked me off because they do die at some point and then the info is lost. I have three. Two are on riders and one on the Troy rototiller to track hours. I'm going on three years with them.

Now you need to read the ad as some/most do come with a replaceable battery !!

I try to record hours monthly when I remember but when these die they'll be getting the ones that are replaceable. $13 on up

Battery Replaceable Digital Tach Tachometer Hour Meter for Motorcycle Motor | eBay

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
pry one of those el-cheapo's open and if the battery can be replaced do it then reseal the cover with some gasket maker

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
pry one of those el-cheapo's open and if the battery can be replaced do it then reseal the cover with some gasket maker

There's no prying it open. At least not the type Coby7 and I have. The components are in the open backed plastic case and then they pour in urethane or some liquid plastic to seal it up from moisture and protect from vibration.

They were cheap so if I'm getting three year so far ... that's fair. I did break down and order two more today (with replaceable batteries :wink:). Will put one on the 1332 Toro and one on the 1030 Snapper.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Replaceable battery is only good if it keeps it's memory while you change the battery, otherwise your back to square one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a total of 3 tiny tachs just got one in the mail as a replacement this time with a filter and it works for about 30 seconds and then freezes up. This one I peeled the face off and dug out the sealer and got it to reset but it still on last for 30 seconds or so. Simple 5 hp Tecumseh Don't know what I'm missing. This brand for the money is not worth it
Just my .02 cents
Craig

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to be able to tune and make sure I'm not overdoing the RPMs so I ordered one of these yesterday for 10 bucks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049IFX56

Amazon makes it easy to return or exchange if it turns out to be a dud.
I've seen a lot of those and I'm curious of how well they'd work. Like I said in my first post, these things range in price from inexpensive to something I'd call pretty outrageous because the features are all about the same. Maybe it's like comparing apples to oranges, but you have to wonder. If you wouldn't mind, come back and let us know what you think of it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I bought a battery powered one for my blower last year, just to keep track of maintenance, and the display still show up very dark. I can't remember the make though.
I also bought one of the type shown from Amazon with the 2 buttons, as a spare to use to check RPM on engines. I actually was using it tonight to check the RPM on my JD lawn tractor engine, and the display isn't as dark as it was last year, so it seems that one is dying.
For my portable generator, I wired in a mechanical hour meter than runs off of AC volts. It was under $20 and has worked fine the past few years.
Since the alternators on snowblowers are AC, I'd think a mechanical type would be easy to wire up, as long as you are able to keep the water off of it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I put a NOS real Hobbs hour meter on the new Husky snowblower. It's the mechanical kind, with no battery, sealed nicely, etc. I connected it to the headlight wiring with a diode, works great so far. I wonder if there are any real mechanical meters like this commonly available? <trundles off to google for a look...>

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
My two came in today. It's going to be some time before I have the Snapper overhauled but hopefully tomorrow if we get some sun and decent weather I'll feel like going out to the shed and installing one on the Toro.

I'll have to get my hands on a digital inductive tach and check out the accuracy between the two.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
... I wonder if there are any real mechanical meters like this commonly available? <trundles off to google for a look...>
That's what I got for the Yanmar, since having a tach would be a bit complicated... Amazon has a pretty good selection.

http://www.amazon.com/Quartz-Tractor-Generator-Engine-12-24-48/dp/B0049I6TJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451346584&sr=8-1&keywords=tms+hour+meter

Seems a little cheap, because... it was, but it works on the bench so I suppose I should install it and see.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sometimes the old reliable mechanical bits are more reliable than the all-electronic pieces like the tiny-tach and such. I dan't have a picture handy, but the one I put on it is a small rectangle face less than an inch and a half wide, maybe three quarters of an inch wide. It fits in a small angled bracket I made, and is mounted under the cowl cover out of the way. To read it or even know it's there, look up from under and behind the handles. Figured it would be safer there than on top.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally just threw in the towel, decided to go cheap and ordered one of these. Picked this one because the seller claimed to have them in stock in the U.S.

New LCD Digital Engine Tach Hour Meter Gauge for Racing Motorcycle Black US | eBay

I put it on my Honda ES6500 Generator. Installation was straight forward and easy and it read the RPM right there with my hand held, so either they are both right, or both wrong. I'll see how it holds up being stored in the garage during the cold months.

I also installed a Schumacher battery tender on it since it is electric start only and has no recoil starter.

SE-1-12S-CA - Schumacher Electric

·
Registered
13 Posts
help please

I put a NOS real Hobbs hour meter on the new Husky snowblower. It's the mechanical kind, with no battery, sealed nicely, etc. I connected it to the headlight wiring with a diode, works great so far. I wonder if there are any real mechanical meters like this commonly available? <trundles off to google for a look...>
what is the diode for? Can't you just remove the connector from the light, T off the positive wire and go to ground for the hour meter, and then reconnect the connector to the light? Where does the diode go/

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I don't see it mentioned but if DrBob has an incandescent light running off the engines AC adding the diode cuts out half the power going the "wrong way" and thus producing the DC the meter might need.

I've always been curious if that also cuts in half the output amps ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyhzpFqXwdA

1 - 20 of 30 Posts