Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered a tach. it has 3 modes for firing pattern. not sure which to choose....
1- fires twice per revolution
2-once per revolution
3-every other revolution

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I would be inclined to say once per revolution. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This can be confusing.

A 4 stroke crankshaft makes 2 revolutions per cycle. So you'd think that it fires ever-other revolution.

My understanding is that with most of our snowblower 4-stroke engines, there's a "wasted spark" at the top of the exhaust stroke; you're getting a firing on every revolution.

Start with "2" as Normex suggested.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
This can be confusing.

A 4 stroke crankshaft makes 2 revolutions per cycle. So you'd think that it fires ever-other revolution.

My understanding is that with most of our snowblower 4-stroke engines, there's a "wasted spark" at the top of the exhaust stroke; you're getting a firing on every revolution.

Start with "2" as Normex suggested.
A Tach measures rpm so it doesn't matter if you had a six stroke one still have to measure the # of rotation per minute of the crankshaft.
Take Care

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
A Tach measures rpm so it doesn't matter if you had a six stroke one still have to measure the # of rotation per minute of the crankshaft.
Take Care
The engine wasn't provided nor was the type of tachometer being used.

If we're splitting hairs here, a tachometer doesn't measure RPM's, it's measuring electrical impulses.

For example, the cheap hourmeter tachs are inductively coupled to the ignition system by wrapping the wire around the spark plug lead. If there isn't a "wasted" spark & there's only a spark at the top of the compression stroke, then there is no signal however there was a rotation. Therefore, it does "matter".

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The engine wasn't provided nor was the type of tachometer being used.

If we're splitting hairs here, a tachometer doesn't measure RPM's, it's measuring electrical impulses.

For example, the cheap hourmeter tachs are inductively coupled to the ignition system by wrapping the wire around the spark plug lead. If there isn't a "wasted" spark & there's only a spark at the top of the compression stroke, then there is no signal however there was a rotation. Therefore, it does "matter".
I beg to differ since tachs that measure rpm by electrical impulses takes into account with transistors to give the number of revolution a crankshafts does in a minute. So it doesn't matter after all, look it up.
Most small engines have a wasted spark.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I beg to differ since tachs that measure rpm by electrical impulses takes into account with transistors to give the number of revolution a crankshafts does in a minute. So it doesn't matter after all, look it up.
Most 4-stroke small engines have a wasted spark.
^^^ there, fixed it for ya.

I'd say we agree to disagree...but we agree that the setting should be "2" so... :D

Firing frequency seems to be a common confusion that I'm attempting to provide some clarity. Someone accustomed to working on distributor and/or computer controlled ignitions might be inclined to use the "3" settings on one of our small engines and worse...try to compensate a perfectly good engine :eek:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
^^^ there, fixed it for ya.

I'd say we agree to disagree...but we agree that the setting should be "2" so... :D
Agreed! since there are so many variations of engines and tachs hence the multi setting one the OP has.
I have to admit I'm slow today with a cold but what do you mean with your first statement? I know I'll probably slap my head (lightly for my headache) once you tell me.:)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Agreed! since there are so many variations of engines and tachs hence the multi setting one the OP has.
I have to admit I'm slow today with a cold but what do you mean with your first statement? I know I'll probably slap my head (lightly for my headache) once you tell me.:)
"Most 4-stroke small engines have a wasted spark." <-- I added something :D

Hope you feel better Normex!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Now going back to the points era the points would not allow for a wasted spark would they on a four stroke cycle? On electronic ignition you would have a spark every time the magnet on the flywheel excites the coil which is once per revolution.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Now going back to the points era the points would not allow for a wasted spark would they on a four stroke cycle? On electronic ignition you would have a spark every time the magnet on the flywheel excites the coil which is once per revolution.
The points are controlled by a cam on your crankshaft...so every revolution the points close triggering a spark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a braincramp thinking about regular engines with the points operated off the camshaft. So yes either way spark. Two stroke or four. The difference is on a two stroke each spark is used but it is still only one Revolution.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts