Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO some new units have one wheel spinning and one wheel not spinning. Anyone use these? I'm re-building an old machine and I could easily set it up this way. The way I figure it, I'm just loosing 1/2 of my pushing power... I hear they are "easier to turn", at the sacrifice of push power ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine can go either way. I have both wheels locked for traction. In snow, you need traction. Yes it is a little bit harder to turn in a tight spot, but being on snow, it slides easy. If you snow blow up any type of incline, you need the traction. Also depends on how much snow you are going thru. You need all the traction available for deep snow and for getting thru the snow bank that the snow plow leaves behind.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
I'd agree with indypower, traction is good. If the machine you're working on has the snap pins that can be placed in two different positions, then I'd use the traction option for blowing, and move it to the free wheeling position for moving, especially on dry pavement.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Have yet to (lock the diff) on my Ariens. We haven’t had much snow yet but traction has not been a problem. Of course it could be that my unit has the big tires and a lot of weight too. I suppose that helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like I'll just make them both spin.. I'm restoring an old medium sized (24") Ariens and its heavy but it's not excessive like say, a 42" unit (abumpa), so I think I'd rather have the traction. Some one in town is selling one of those on Craigslist. It's like a Monster but I'm sure it clears the driveway fast! I call my little unit "the Beast". Thanks for the input guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts