Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been Experimenting with Different Chutes on Old School Ariens Machines. I think the Short Chute is the Only Thing the Older Machines are lacking. A bit of time with the Grinder and Welder can Transform the Throwing Status of Your Old School Ariens....

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, a taller chute but its for a toro 521. i'm going to add an impeller kit also but i need warm weather to do either job

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been Experimenting with Different Chutes on Old School Ariens Machines. I think the Short Chute is the Only Thing the Older Machines are lacking. A bit of time with the Grinder and Welder can Transform the Throwing Status of Your Old School Ariens....
Can we see some pictures of how the welding attached the new chute?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what Model the Tall Chute Came From, Got it from a local shop. It Had the Gear-Type Flange on the Bottom which I removed by grinding the welds off. Cut the Original Down, and Welded the New Tall chute to the Old Style Base. Fit like a Glove!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been Experimenting with Different Chutes on Old School Ariens Machines. I think the Short Chute is the Only Thing the Older Machines are lacking.....
What's the advantage..?? Does it make a difference in the distance it throws..??

Since so many of the newer blowers have them, there must be a reason.
Just curious...

Thanx....

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
A taller chute is useful for throwing over obstacles such as bushes, small fences or snow banks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A taller chute is useful for throwing over obstacles such as bushes, small fences or snow banks.
DUH....Boy, do I feel dumb...!! :eek:

I should have figured that out myself just by staring at the tall chutes a bit longer.

It's just another "Senior Moment".
They're happening more frequently every day....
It sucks getting olde...!!

Thanks, Shryp...

Richie >>

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Not every snowblower needs one though..
In my situation, I would never have any use for such a modification..
so its not something that is necessarily "always better" than the stock short-chute..
but clearly its a good and useful mod, if you have those sorts of obstacles you need to get snow up and over..

Scot

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Makes you wonder, do you lose any velocity in the snow being thrown if you have a short vs long chute? I would think longer contact in the chute might slow it a little, but by the same token, a longer chute may allow a bigger arc in the chute so it would have less internal redirection.

Has anyone else done any comparisons between a short and tall chute and what the effect is on throwing distance? I don't have any obsticles to worry about so the only thing I can see is a tall chute might be more likely to get in the way if you put the blower into the service position.

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In MY Opinion, I get Better Control as the snow does not Disperse as Quickly While Exiting as with a Short Chute. Your Results and Opinions May Vary.

"Never Argue with an Idiot, He will Drag You Down to His Level, and beat You with Experience"~

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think a taller chute, with a better angle might help with distance. Mine has a short chute and they are tilted forward so the snow coming up smashes into it. If I can't find a longer chute, I might cut and re-weld mine to take some angle out of it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Tall ST series Chute may be a Direct Bolt-on, Depending on Your Model.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I put a ST824 Medium Chute on a late 70s Machine for the latest snowstorm here. Easy bolt on job. Made a Noticeable Difference throwing the Wet Heavy Stuff!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Did someone say taller chute? lol

In MY Opinion, I get Better Control as the snow does not Disperse as Quickly While Exiting as with a Short Chute. Your Results and Opinions May Vary.
This is mainly the reason why I chose to lengthen my chute. I wanted to get better control of the lighter, fluffier snow.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
so what was the difference in the legnth of the chutes? i put a taller chute on my 521 yesterday the old chut measured 14" from the base to the deflector, the tall chute 17" from the base to the deflector

1 - 18 of 18 Posts