I like Taryl's on purpose mispronunciations
carbettles
Tehcumshe
etc

·
Registered
223 Posts
Armorskids!
The Armorskids work great. My drive is paved but my parking area is gravel. No choice but to use the snow bower on the gravel. I'm too old to shovel!

·
Registered
148 Posts
We use our quite new Ariens on gravel every single time. Gravel is all we have. We clear probably 1/2 an acre with it. Early in the season we toss some gravel but once the ground freezes it works great.

I do install ArmorSkids to help ride on top of the gravel. The increased surface area works much better than the narrow little stamped-steel shoes from the factory. Did that on the previous machine that this Ariens replaced too.

I set the height to about 3/4in-1in at the start of the season, and I walk the area before early snows to get rid of any loose rocks. Once things freeze up I can lower the height down to ~1/2in and it's just like running on pavement.

I got quotes on paving our parking area and driveway last summer. $15-18K. I can buy a LOT of snowblowers and parts for that. So gravel it will stay!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
So gravel it will stay!
When I built my barn in 2006, I originally planned to add another paved driveway over there as well as a parking apron off the far side. I, too, experienced the sticker shock, so I went with gravel. After a few years of being annoyed dealing with the gravel, I had a load of stone dust delivered and spread it out over the gravel. Over the past 12 years to the present, it has sifted down into the gravel, and it's a pretty solid surface now. The Honda really doesn't pick up any gravel chunks any more.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts