Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy selling some starters but they look different. Supposedly one is 7HP and the other 8 - 10HP. Any idea which is which?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Looks like there is a little confusion on what fits a 7hp. I'm not the starter expert but these starters seem to overlap on 7 horse where you need to know the model number of the 7hp to figure out which one.
So one is a 5-7 and the other is a 7-10

https://www.millsupply.com/electric-starter-33329f-tecumseh-2610982.php?p=42326

https://www.millsupply.com/electric-starter-33328e-tecumseh-2610976.php?p=42324

In your picture the one on the left with the offset mounts would be for the bigger engines. IMHO

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The one on the left is 8-10hp, The one on the right is 6-7 hp. Most of the 5hp are 3 bolt configuration, except very early ones

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tec Starters

Yes, I agree.

The one on the right looks identical to the starter on a 6HP Tec I have for my 73 Ariens.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sometimes the brackets will be bent and the gears won't engage correctly and grind especially on the 8-10 hp starters. You can narrow the clearance with a few hammer taps on the forward ridge after mounting the starter if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
This ought to do the trick. I'll put studs in the block to make sure I get the best grip in the block.

Amazon.com: Starter Tecumseh HM70 HM80 HM90 HM100 AM30931 33202 35763 35876 5749: Automotive
You need more than just studs, you need the head of a bolt to hold the starter mounts down so it doesn't move or twist when the starter is engaged. Better course of action would be a 1/4" bolt with a small sleeve to fill the gap in those 2 mount tabs. I made a couple the other year using some left over parts from something with the right o.d. on them. I had to drill out the center hole and cut them to length. I screwed up more than I succeeded on but eventually got 2 useable ones.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just mentioned studs because I can screw them all the way into the block, then use nuts to hold it down. More secure and protecting the crappy block holes. I didn't think about sleeves, though. I'll have to see what the holes in the starter look like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts