Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got it (used). It starts up very easily, but only want to idle with the choke on full and sometime half. I let it idle for about 10-15 minutes total, but every couple minutes I would try to back off the choke and it would shut off when I turned it off completely. Even after 10 minutes of warm up, it would idle at half choke, but when I engaged the auger or the tracks, it would stall. I had to put it on full choke in order to "drive" it back into the garage.

Is this a dirty carb issue?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Sounds like the carb. Did you test it before you bought it? :)

Could also be air leaks in the carb gaskets, plugged fuel lines or bad vent in gas cap.
I would start with pulling the bowl off the carb and have a look inside. You might get away with a quick cleaning while it is still on the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rebuild the carb or buy a aftermarket replacement (ex: Oregon brand) carb. I did both over the year and eventually went with the latter. Carb kit is $10-$15. Aftermarket new carb is $50-$60.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rebuild the carb or buy a aftermarket replacement (ex: Oregon brand) carb. I did both over the year and eventually went with the latter. Carb kit is $10-$15. Aftermarket new carb is $50-$60.
Carbs are no longer available from Oregon. CPC, who bought Tecumseh Small Engines, sued Oregon for patent infringment and won. Oregon was ordered to stop selling carbs and to remove all from the distribution system. Distributors & dealers were told to return un sold carbs to Oregon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am planning to rebuild the carb. My motor is an HS50 . What other info do I need to determine which carb I have? I didn't see any numbers on the carb itself.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Using the Parts Tree website, I found my carb part number, but I could not find the rebuild kit anywhere. Where can I turn my carb number (640084B) into a rebuild kit part number?

HS50 67270H

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
If you expand the carb number that parts list has what looks like a first aid kit in the picture and that is the kit number. The carb is listed under "ättachments for this model".

Carb 632107 replaced by 640084B
Repair kit 31840

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I did find that number elsewhere and ordered it from Amazon along with a new gasket. It should be here next week.

Where do I find the instructions for adjusting the screws and such?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Nice. I subscribed to his Youtube Channel. He has a lot of cool videos. That ought to keep me out of my wife's hair for a while this weekend.
That is true. He can show you how to rebuild the carb too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I watched that series as well. I don't have that special tool though. I downloaded the tuning video to my phone so I have access to it while I am in the garage. I will probably do the same with the carb rebuild videos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And here I thought the snow was done for the year. It looks like we are supposed to get 6-8 inches. So I guess I'll be doing the carb re-build tonight when I get home from work. I watched donyboy77's videos on the subject. I don't have the Techumseh tool. Is it possible without the tool? If not, I may just disassemble and clean it good and just use the new gaskets.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You don't need any special tools.

You can use an 11/64ths bit for the float, but if you don't disturb it you should not have to mess with it.

As long as your careful you should be able to get away with just cleaning it and putting it back together. You probably just need to clean the holes in the nut that holds the bowl on and wipe the bowl out.

Oh yea, you bought the kit. Don't mess with the welsh plugs. The needle seat can be removed with a paper clip or other small hook. The new one can be put in using the back side of a drill bit or other small round punch. If it is not leaking you don't need to mess with it, but probably wouldn't hurt to change while you have it apart. Make sure the new one is installed with the flat side facing the needle and the side with a circle around it facing the fuel hose.

Stop at an auto parts store on the way home and pick up a $2 spray can of carb cleaner. That stuff works wonders compared to PB Blaster for cleaning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts