Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks-

I am getting better all the time at fixing the Techie engines, however there is one thing I have not yet tackled in all the engines i've worked on... Valve adjustment. How do you know when they need adjustment? What are the symptoms? What tools are needed? I'll have to probably learn how to do it via a youtube video unless you have tips? I believe the 2 JD 826s I look after at church buildings are likely in need of valve adjustments.

Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
if it aint broke.......break it?
if its hard to start and u know for sure everything else is good, fuel, carb and spark, then valves might need adjusting and/or cleaning.
plenty of vids on getting to the valves.........but if it aint broke.........u know

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If you pull start it with the rope and it pulls easier than it used to, exhaust valve is probably open a little and needs adjusting.

If the engine is warm and you hear popping from the muffler, again, the exhaust valve needs adjusting.

You have to remove the carb and muffler to get at the rectangular valve cover plate located behind them in order to check clearance between valve and lifter. Service manual has the specs for your particular motor, usually between .005 and .008.

·
Registered
210 Posts
if it aint broke.......break it?
if its hard to start and u know for sure everything else is good, fuel, carb and spark, then valves might need adjusting and/or cleaning.
plenty of vids on getting to the valves.........but if it aint broke.........u know
Bingo. I have comercial lawnmowers,kawasaki engines , they recomend valve adjustment every 300 hours. My comercial dealer wont touch valves unless there is a issue. Ive seen these engines go 2,000 hours with no problem, just oil and filters , no valave work.

Ive seen plenty of 70's era Ariens machines, including my fathers, still in servie with no valve work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts