Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the crankshaft because the crankshaft gear cracked from getting to close to a tarp. The issue i need help with was present before taking apart.

When i pull the starting cord, the metal housing moves around. Could this be a bent flywheel? or is not aligned? Let me know if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I had one of those.Sort of. I thought something was bent, but the pull start housing was just off center. I loosened the 4 screws and centered the four oversized holes of the pull housing on the flywheel cover up and re-torqued them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've found in my experience that engaging the pull start lightly when tightening the bolts helps center the mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i tried to tighten everything down however the rope wouldn't recoil. so i took a video to show what was moving. take a look.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The shaking from the engine looks like the 2 bolts that hold the back cover on. Not the 4 around the rope, but there are 2 more between the engine and the frame of the blower. That back cover has 2 on the top of the head and those 2 on the bottom. The bottoms ones sometimes fall out from vibration.

The rope not going back could be something getting stuck or it could be the spring needs tightened. Since it kind of worked the first time I would go with something getting stuck.

The more troublesome thing is the cackling at the very end. I can't believe someone would volunteer to work the shovel like that! :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Agreed.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Between the bouncing and the bad recoil, I almost wonder if someone had the flywheel off and didn't get the starter cup centered before cranking down the flywheel nut. Maybe pull that back cover off and have a peek inside. Do you have an electric starter? Though if you remove the plug you should be able to turn it over easy by hand.

Just read the first post again. I guess that question is did you do it now. Also, how did you remove the flywheel? Something could be bent or not aligned correctly.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm wondering if the actual recoil mechanism has come loose, inside of the cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Running again

Well, i removed the housing and flywheel. I tightened up the two bolts that hold the housing ears in place. Here is a video of the engine with it's new Crankshaft.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The crankshaft was the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, i replaced the crankshaft because of the broken crank gear. When i put everything together it was making this crazy bounce that was present before replacing the crank. All is well now. Thanks for everyone's help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts